Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
NE
City
Lincoln
I don't know if I've mentioned it anywhere here, but wife and I are moving at the end of February. We are moving form Washington Mo to York NE. My oldest sister is a nurse, and is director of the HIM dept. at the hospital in York. This facility that we are moving to was the hospital's assisted living facility until they build a new, bigger one. this facility was rehabbed, painted, carpets, etc, and is now senior/disabled housing. The apartments are fully handicapped accessible, 2 bathrooms, with one of them being handicap equipped with a roll-in shower. 2 bedrooms, and they are going to have a hospital bed waiting when I get there. Sister has already rounded up a shower chair. This facility is also 500 yards from the dialysis facility for the wife. Hospital is a block away. It's a bit away from downtown(10 blocks), so we'll see what the absolute max range on wheelchair batteries is. York is 40 miles west of Lincoln, and 80 miles west of Omaha along I-80. Unfortunatly, wife nor I am going to be much help for the move. Likely, my other 2 sisters will probably be here for the load-out at least. My nurse sister's husband is a farmer south of York, and has a 8 horse trailer that will likely hold all of our stuff. It's good to have an advocate in my sister already in the medical field, because she had to go to the hospital director to get him to waive the 55 age requirement. I'm 5 months away from that mark. Sister has been very good at getting paperwork handled, especially for wife's dialysis. I'm going to hate going back to the north country weatherwise, I've loved the relatively mild winters here in eastern MO.

So, that is what is happening. I'm doing some of the footwork on the phone, but having more and more trouble getting people to understand me. I've got to line up wheelchair transportation for a trip to the ALS clinic on the 12th, before I leave, and I'll likely be going to the ALS clinic in NE too. Not too much going on right now, but quite sure it is going to get hectic and rushed the last week of Feb. I know I don't post much, but read the forum every day. So I might be gone for a few days, between internet connections.

Perry

Hi Perry,
I hope the move goes well and you settle in fine, I am sure you will.

I am sure the batteries will last the trip down town, If not I am sure you will be able to rig somthing up to charge them during the trip, ie solar panel, oh i forgot you need sun for them to work ;-).
No, you will overcome any short falls I am sure.

cheers (from one in the sparky business to another)
Peter

That sounds really good. I hope your move goes well and everything turns out great!

I am so happy you guys will be in a place that will provide a safe haven. Is anybody on the forum near for help? We have got the best group of people anywhere on here.

Wow you guys have a big move coming up but your new digs sound ideal. Good Luck.

I don't think anyone is near, this is out on the plains in Nebraska. There was a Google map with everyone pinpointed, don't remember who did it, but I'm going to need to change my info. From the map, Only one or two people in the whole state. I sure there are more ALS PALs in NE, just not on the map. Must be, for the ALS soc. to have a clinic in Omaha. York is a rather small town, maybe 10,000. But it serves a wide farm area around there, so has a extensive set of stores. The area is flat as a board, few trees and all farmland. Main crop is corn, with irrigation.

the facility I'm moving to has 12 apartments and garages for all but 2 of them. They just reopened it, so I've got dibs on a garage.

Now, there are those of you that know I'm an Amateur Radio Operator and just general all around technogeek. I have my lighting and elecrification work done on my chair now, and have 12VDC available.To that end, I have Amateur Radio on the chair now and blast my present position to the world over radio. It's called APRS. For those that know about such things, will now know how to find me, for the rest, here's a link that shows via the internet, my position. Right now it's in Washington MO, but bookmark this link, and you'll know when I get to York NE.

N0MXJ-14 Location

A Amateur Radio Operator can't hide anyway, I have to let the FCC know where I'm laying my head. That database is public.

My email is now, and as long as I'm alive, will be [email protected]. Phone numbers may come and go, but as long as I pay my web hosting service fees, I'll have my own domain.
I can change ISPs to my hearts delight, and don't have to fool around with changing email addresses.

Perry

Last edited by a moderator:
my husband has a permobile 300, and he has went 5 miles in a day and the battery was still going strong. I have relatives in Omaha and Beatrice NE, and my grandparents used to live in Brainard. Have a safe and uneventful move. Lori

You are a interesting guy. I think this all sounds pretty cool. Thanks for sharing. I guess that is a pretty cold place. If I can help you with any calls, or any work from the phone, just PM me and I would be glad to help. You are one handy guy. You always have such a good attitude. Keep us updated..

Perry...good luck with your move. Sounds like your sister will be very helpful to you and your wifey. I will be thinking of you during this hectic time. Take care of yourself.

Perry, When the time comes for the actual move, I hope all goes well and nothing gets broken!

Perry, it sounds like you are moving to a great place that will be easy for both you and your wife and is close to family. I hope that you get lots of help with the move and that it all goes well.

I have moved you on the Google map so you are already part way there! BTW I will be 55 in July so we are almost the exactly the same age. In Canada we used to have a life insurance company that advertised what they called "Freedom 55" meaning if you invested with them you could retire at 55. Well I didn't and I'm already retired but not sure about the freedom though! :cool::cool:

Hinton, AB - Google Maps

hope it is everything you want and need

Sounds like a great place! Will have to post us some pics of it. Hope that the move is straitforward and calm.

Well, I thought I would update this, it seems the move date may be pushed back into March some time. Trying to get the wife set up on COBRA, and they are dragging their feet on getting it going. I'm going to have to work the phone tomorrow and see if I can light a fire under anyone. I have to have this move done by March, as April is corn planting in NE, and I'd have no help.

The holdup is getting the wife a dialysis chair in NE. The facility is a small one, and they want to see all the ducks in a row, financially before they'll set her up for dialysis.

Perry

That's a neat link to your site Perry. All sorts of stuff I didn't know. Think of the move as an adventure. It may help with the transition.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back