Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Wa.
City
Puyallup
There is a lot of doom and gloom here so I thought I would post some positive news. My dad, (age 70) was diagnosed in Sept. 09 with Bulbar onset. His speech was slurred, he had problems choking in his sleep and was having problems walking up hills. Of course after he was diagnosed, like we all do, we all went looking for a cure. After that reality set in, we researched what we could do to possibly slow down this beast. My mom and dad have always been very health oriented. They work out together 5 mornings a week and eat only healthy stuff. They are a couple who celebrate life, and always have. The goal was always to live long and celebrate being together. So, my mom cut out all MSG possible. MSG is in just about everything, but giving it the old college try anyway. (even though the MSG we eat is not suppose to be able to cross the brain barrier) Plus, they now only will eat organic. All of the toxins in cleaning products, laundry det, colones, soaps have been eliminated and replaced with organic no toxins materials. He is on a ton of supplements. He also uses magnesium spray on his body every day. He now works out 6 days a week at the gym. About a month and a half ago he tried a 7 day detox program that he got from a health store. Humm....all of a sudden he is not slurring anymore. I have waited to see if that was just a fluke, but he is still not slurring! He just went back to his neuro whom he has not seen since his diagnosed, and they ran all the tests and he has actually improved! The issues we thought to be ALS progression in his fingers turns out to be arthritis, his strength actually better! Every time I see him he looks actually good! The only thing I have noticed is that his voice is softer, but no longer slurred. (he is still on bi-pap at night of course) Here is the really weird thing. He has always had a problem with plaque build up on his teeth. He goes to the dentist every 3 months for cleanings. This has been done for years and years. He goes to the dentist this week for his 3 month cleaning, and there is no plaque! NONE. What is that?! Now, a lot of you know me on this forum, and I have been here long enough to know that everyone is different. Who is to say that this would have been the case with or without all that he has been doing. Perhaps he will turn for the worse and start a rapid progression. Of course as we all know that is possible. But for now, we are HAPPY! My dad is HAPPY!...It is a true blessing!.....Hugs to all!....Kari

I think this is wonderful news, Kari! I hope your dad continues on this path!

Super! I hope it lasts.

FANNNTastic Thanks for sharing that Kari

Wow ! what great news !

I cant tell you how that lifts my spirits.

I am so happy for your dad and all of the family as this is a huge victory for all of you.

Thanks for sharing that.

Kari, thanks so much for sharing that story. I truly hope he continues on this path, Hugs, Linda

Kari.,

Thanks for sharing this. You give hope to many, by posting it. I hope your dad continues along this path!

Kari,
Thank you for sharing your story of how well your dad is doing. It made me smile. It's so nice to hear some good news.

Thank you so much. I really think all of what you said make's a lot of sense. This darn disease is so much more than it seems, we have a bunch of stuff together that makes a perfect storm. Who knows what he is doing may be putting things at BAY.. I am so happy and it is great news. We never know what may work.. Thanks for sharing..

Thank you for sharing such positive news Kari. What happy day indeed!

WOW, this is awesome! Kari, your parents sound so much like mine. My dad followed a similar regime and he really did feel so much better, especially in the beginning. I think your dad is taking a step further though with the detoxing and exercise. I really really hope this keeps up! Much love to you and your wonderful family! xo

Thank you so much for all your positive support guys! I have become quite attached to a lot of you and it warms my heart that you care so much about my father and me too!
Hugs,
Kari

There is a lot of doom and gloom here so I thought I would post some positive news. My dad, (age 70) was diagnosed in Sept. 09 with Bulbar onset. His speech was slurred, he had problems choking in his sleep and was having problems walking up hills. Of course after he was diagnosed, like we all do, we all went looking for a cure. After that reality set in, we researched what we could do to possibly slow down this beast. My mom and dad have always been very health oriented. They work out together 5 mornings a week and eat only healthy stuff. They are a couple who celebrate life, and always have. The goal was always to live long and celebrate being together. So, my mom cut out all MSG possible. MSG is in just about everything, but giving it the old college try anyway. (even though the MSG we eat is not suppose to be able to cross the brain barrier) Plus, they now only will eat organic. All of the toxins in cleaning products, laundry det, colones, soaps have been eliminated and replaced with organic no toxins materials. He is on a ton of supplements. He also uses magnesium spray on his body every day. He now works out 6 days a week at the gym. About a month and a half ago he tried a 7 day detox program that he got from a health store. Humm....all of a sudden he is not slurring anymore. I have waited to see if that was just a fluke, but he is still not slurring! He just went back to his neuro whom he has not seen since his diagnosed, and they ran all the tests and he has actually improved! The issues we thought to be ALS progression in his fingers turns out to be arthritis, his strength actually better! Every time I see him he looks actually good! The only thing I have noticed is that his voice is softer, but no longer slurred. (he is still on bi-pap at night of course) Here is the really weird thing. He has always had a problem with plaque build up on his teeth. He goes to the dentist every 3 months for cleanings. This has been done for years and years. He goes to the dentist this week for his 3 month cleaning, and there is no plaque! NONE. What is that?! Now, a lot of you know me on this forum, and I have been here long enough to know that everyone is different. Who is to say that this would have been the case with or without all that he has been doing. Perhaps he will turn for the worse and start a rapid progression. Of course as we all know that is possible. But for now, we are HAPPY! My dad is HAPPY!...It is a true blessing!.....Hugs to all!....Kari

That's awesome Kari! I'm happy for you and your family. :)

This is the kind of stuff I was trying to explain to my Mom she needs to do. I don't think she has quite accepted the concept that her husband is very very very sick and that any little thing might help.

Andy

Kari, that is such great news! I hope that he keeps on improving to the point where you don't even have to be here (but I hope you stay here anyway)

Barry

I'm so glad to hear your news....my mom actually had some improvement as well with diet change, supplements, and detoxing.... I truly believe that if you can help the inside of your body in everyway, it will help with whatever your body is fighting. It is so difficult in our society of fast food and processed food, almost everything we eat has some form of toxin....ugh

Please keep us posted...
I sent your posting to my mom to read and give her some inspiration for her determination to continue her process.

thanks it is nice to hear some good news on the forum.
trtt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back