Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
Sc
City
Sumter
What are everyone's thoughts/opinons about the vent? My mom is coming very close to that point, but I think she is unsure about what she wants to do. She is not ready to go, yet, she feels as though will have no quality of life on a ventilator as she can no long eat, move, speak,she is always in pain or constipated and has excruciating headaches.

If you scroll to the bottom of this page there are other threads that talk about this issue.

The headaches could be caused by a build up of CO2 which a vent will take care of.

My mom and family went through the same thing. After about a month in ICU to clear her pnemonia and moving from bi-pap to having a breathing tube down her throut cause she was so weak. She in the end wanted to get the trach. But before that decision, she was depressed, unsure, not wanting it, wanting to die, yet not...very hard and sad for my family during that time. But in the end my mom agreed to do the trach and it was the best decision.

There was a lot of preparation at home and training on behalf of me, my dad and helper. We had to learn how to suction, change the trach dressings, learn about the ventilator, and much more. But honestly, it's worth it..so worth it! My moms has been on the trach for over a year now, she is in the hospital now for an infection, but still here and the drive to live still inher eyes. She has lived to see my sister go through another pregnancy and the birth of her second grandaughther!

Physically she has deterioted though. She cant talk eat move speak..only thing she has is the blink of an eye...still means loads to me though. He left lung has collapsed due to a build up of mucous that is too low for suctioning. So far she is stable though...but i pray to bigger beings that she overcome these infections day by day.

By the way, before my mom was admitted into ICU, she had the same symptoms...waking up with headaches, tired, groggy...I think they said it was the build up of c2o in the blood stream or not enough oxygen. But get an oxygen level reader, thats what alarmed us to send my mom to the ICU that saved her life! ..make sure it doesnt drop below normal...do it every morning or anytime you feel is right.

Hope this helps...love to you and your family!

Margaret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back