Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
Sc
City
Sumter
Does anyone have any suggestions for chronic constipation? My mom is on docusate and senna (both can be taken twice a day) We do the docusate (softner) twice a day but the senna we only do once a day. Her bowel movements are hit and miss one day it can be soft and the next day it will be hard as a rock and she can't pass it. Lately they have just been hard as a rock and she has had to then resort to magnesium citrate and enemas which just make her stomach hurt and still take a while to work. We need something to keep her regular and soften her stool even more because the docusate isn't cutting it.

Constipation is common with ALS. My doctor prescribed docusate (2 teasp twice a day) and mineral oil (15 ml by tube). I use the docusate every day and the mineral oil once every other day, and it has solved the problem. It may take a week to get your mom regular, but once she gets on a routine, it should solve the problem. Mineral oil is over the counter.

kellyh..we use Milk of Magnesia. We give my hubby 1/2 a dose every other day. It took us a whlie of trail and error to get the amount and timing right. This is pretty common issue. My hubby also puts a pillow up to his stomach and sometimes bends over it to help w/ the "pushing issues.

You know, if she can still eat them, figs really do work..........

Wife gives me 6ozs of prune juice, warmed a little and then a hot cup of coffee, every morning. Has worked so far.

OHHHH I know this problem all to intimately! And the cure is......."AMITIZA"! I suffer from chronic pain and all the pain killers back me up something horrible. Then out came Amitiza on the market, and wha laaaa no more problemo! You have to get a script from the doctor...Please let me know how it goes!
Hugs,
Kari

Just to add one more option - for when things get chronic and you can't face waiting another night for the Senna to work, maybe.
On one such occaision for me my wife got Microlax from the chemist. This is an enema and after applicaton of 5ml it was 15 minutes tops before relief! Very effective!
Since then I have been on a softener called Genlac which is working so far.

Good luck
Philski

I have been taking Amatiza for two years, but now that my progression is worse, it doesn't work anymore. I also have IBS and that is why I was given Amatiza first. The gastro doc at Mayo told me to take Milk of Mag every day if I needed it.

deborah

Mirralax daily. Constipation gone! Available in generic now.

Oooo just been there , done that. I was getting desperate and the nurses were talking manual stimulation.

Here is what works forme:

1/2 spoonful of lactulose with every meal
1 tablespoon of milk of magnesia before bed
2 senokot tablets before turning the lights out

Glen

Rick doesn't get constipated and he has ALS.... so I don't think it goes with ALS. It's no doubt the pain meds and others that cause it.

The more muscles lost , the more panelized you become the more chance of getting constipated. I know Christopher Reeve they use to massage his stomach for hour a day in order for him to move his bowels. Also many Pals I know I don't drink enough fluids. And yes medications some can cause this. Many Pals do have problems with constipation. You want to not let this happen it can affect your breathing and also painful and not good at all can cause other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back