Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Oh
City
Alliance
I was considered disabled in Oct, and I’m getting my first disability check in march. Is there going to be back pay for the last 5 months I didn’t get a check. Because if so road trip here I come. And maybe some of your floors for a night or two. lol

ugh...... not what i wanted to here, fales alarm every one your floors are safe for anouther month or two

It might depend on what state your in.My mom got it for MS.You might want to ask a lawyer...

true, well if any one in ohio knows the answer let me know, i hate lawyers lol

I got my social security disability retroactive to when I was considered disabled. So yes my first check was for six months worth.

We also got our checks retroactive from the first time ALS was even mentioned as a possible diagnosis. So, we did not have any waiting period.

I dont have ALS, but have severe Fibromyalga, herniated dics and bad arthritis in my back. I filed for disability in Sept. 03 - finally got it in August of 06 and was retro pay to Mar of 04. The 6 month waiting period they gave me nothing. Maybe it does depend on the diagnosed? Social Security I thought was the same waiting period for everyone. (there shouldnt be a waiting period!). I even had letters from my docs saying I would never work again. But now, thanks to a wonderful doc who went in and burned some of the nerves in my back I am able to sit for 5 hours a time 3 x a week before the extreme fatigue kicks in. I am so grateful to be able to rejoin the living out there again. I wish I could go back full time, but my body will not cooperate with my brain. Sound familiar?
Hugs, Kari

Just to be clear...I had no waiting period; for ALS you are fast-tracked and the whole process was done in about 2 weeks. But when I applied the date of my disability/diagnosed was six months' previously, so I was given benefits for those six months.

You will be disabled in March they will give you medicare, no check till April the wed following you birth date.

I was disabled in june 6 months was dec. may day of birth is the 21st so my first ck comes Jan 27th

i have already been considerd dis, i was in oct but they said i wouldnt get my first check till march. yea when they seen the als it was the next week they said i would be getting it but had to wait 5 months for my first check

Yep, 5 months wait for me, I'll get my first check/bank deposit on Feb 17th, And no back pay. Bummer I know, but just the way the Gov't works. With all of my dealings with various departments in gov't over the years, I'm amazed SS works as well as it does. If you don't have any other means of income/savings, it's going to be a rough haul til April. If you've been working and have 401K at work, you can now withdraw it with no penalty, being determined to be disabled.

Perry

Here in our state the disability check dates from the day you applied, not when the doctors say your troubles began. When you get it, it is retroactive from that date only.

Also, my husband still only has 10% disability from the VA and that is for his TypeII diabetes. He was diagnosed two years ago October with MND considered to be ALS.

Rick got SS disability but that was because he injured his leg in an explosion.

we're from IL., we had fast track filing and approval, but NO back pay. waited 5 mo. for 1st check.
Oddly enough my hubby's b-day is on the 16th and he gets paid on the 3rd...oh well.

Good Luck!

I have been reading through the posts and am trying to wrap my head around the different waiting periods since SSDI and SSI are federal programs. I can't find anything that addresses how it could be applied differently state by state so I don't think that is the reason. (However some states do have state supplemental income programs in addition to the SSI provided through the SSA which could allow for confusion.)

In regards to waiting periods for federal SSDI/SSI, I found this link from ALS Society helpful. http://www.alsa.org/files/cms/Resources/FYI_07_Govt_Benefits.pdf

ALS is a "teri" case allowing applications to be expedited through the Social Security system. There is a 5 month waiting period for SSDI after the date your disability began so I would assume that if for some reason you did not apply for disability right away the 5 month waiting period goes back to when you were disabled not when you applied so this could make waiting periods vary.

When you apply for disability you are screened for both SSDI and SSI. If you have paid enough income tax into SSDI (disability insurance) then you are eligible for SSDI benefits. If you have not paid enough into the system you receive SSI (supplemental income).

Here is an outline of the 2 programs from the ALS Philadelphia:
SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance, or Title II of the Social Security Act)

• Provides monthly income to people who worked in jobs in which they paid Social Security taxes, and are no longer able to work because of disability

• Requires a certain number of “work credits” (based on your years of employment and how much you earned)

• Requires that you meet the government’s definition of “disabled,” which for people with ALS is a formal medical diagnosis of the disease

• Pays an average monthly amount of $862 for a single person and $1,442 for a disabled worker with a spouse and dependent child

SSI (Supplemental Security Income, or Title XVI)

• Is available to people who never worked, or worked but didn’t pay Social Security taxes, or didn’t work enough in recent years to meet the “work credit” requirements of SSDI

• Helps very low-income people who are 65 or older, blind or disabled

• Requires that your financial resources (savings and assets) not exceed $2,000 and that you meet the government definition of disabled

• Pays a set monthly payment of $564 to an eligible individual and $846 to an eligible couple. http://www.alsphiladelphia.org/NetCommunity/Document.Doc?id=845 - note this resource was written in 2003 and the payments are higher today.

The SSI program has a presumptive disability benefit that allows people to receive a disability check while they are waiting for up to 6 months on a determination and those checks start right away. If you are being processed for SSI and have ALS you automatically qualify for presumptive disability checks while you wait - not all field offices know this. Some individuals who qualify for SSDI also qualify for SSI so we should be sure we inquire about this program. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/compassionateallowances/TheALSAssociation(Steve Gibson)12-4-07.pdf

I also found interesting that for both programs you do not need to establish your inability to work or severity of symptoms to be eligible but rather the diagnosis itself actually makes you eligible for benefits. "Under the new regulations, a valid diagnosis of ALS is sufficient to prove disability, regardless of how impaired the applicant is at the time." The MDA/ ALS Newsmagazine 9-6 | MDA

Any clarification from others experience would be appreciated as it seems not all SSA field offices process applications the same as not all field agents are knowledgeable of recent regulation changes that pertain specifically to the ALS diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back