Reason
Other
Country
US
State
AL
City
Mobile
I'm not worried about ALS, since I've had my symptoms quite a long time (10+ years) and have paresthesias.

My question is actually about EMGs.

I just had one, and it was abnormal (NCV was normal, though). Now, I've read a lot about benign fasciculation syndrome, and it seems like the only abnormalities on the EMG in a person with BFS would be fasciculations. But I can't find out ANYTHING about what fasciculations look/sound like on EMG vs. what fibrillations look/sound like.

Frankly, the neuro who ordered the test was really rude and dismissive, and ordered it only to pacify me. He was convinced it would be entirely negative. And he's not been in a hurry to return my calls about setting up an appointment to go over the results.

I had some waves that looked like small cones at regular intervals, and some that were much longer and skinnier and not as regular. I heard some popping/whooshing noises also. Some popping noises were quite regular and rhythmic - like a heartbeat - and some were quite irregular.

I'm not particularly worried. I just want to be prepared for things if, when I finally get this guy pinned down to an appointment, he's going to pooh-pooh me. When the neurologist administering the test (she was awesome, by the way) told me the results were abnormal (but not clear cut), I felt so vindicated and relieved that now I'd have to be taken seriously. But if my results might be meaningless, I want to know going in that I'm back at square one.

I know this was long. Thanks so much for your patience and any guidance you can give.

Jessic

being vindicated is a relief in it self ... i do not know these answers but someone will give you an idea but 10 yrs of symptoms dont sound like als to me maybe a mnd type anyway best of luck

Yeah, I'm not worried about ALS. I'm not really worried about whatever it is - I mean, whatever it is, I'm dealing with it anyway, the vindication DOES feel great, and at least now I have a clue.

But it is causing some pretty serious stuff that can't be explained by BFS, and I'm hoping I don't have to deal with some horse hockey from the doctor just because he's trying to protect his ego and can't admit he made a rush to judgment. If there's a possibility he can look at the results and do that, I want to be toughened against it going in, you know?

Hi,

I don't think a person untrained in the EMG and how to interpret it can make any sense of those sounds or symbols on the screen and I would not even try. You'll just drive yourself crazy.

It may be possible for you to obtain the EMG results in advance of the appointment with your neurologist. I did this and was relieved at the time the EMG was normal. It also gave me some info in advance to ask specific questions of the neurologist related to the EMG. You can go to the lab where you had the EMG done and ask for the report; there should be an interpretation there that a layperson could understand.

Good luck-

Sandra

Jessic.. You can always go for a second opinion w/ a different neuro. Some are great people and some are just way too arrogant to be put up with

Sandra - The nurse really tried to put me off when I asked about this, saying it was always better to wait and discuss the results with the doctor. I guess I wasn't pushy enough - but I was already calling to have my doctor changed from Mr. Arrogant to Ms. Good Listener, so I didn't want to seem like I was stirring up more trouble.

Cris - Done! Whew. The doctor's office had gotten back to me, saying my results were "subtle and nonspecific" but that he COULD see me. So I changed to the doctor who did the test. I do think she might say the results are nonspecific - but she didn't seem, at the time at least, to think they were subtle at all.

Thanks for your responses and help, everybody.

Hi again,

whether or not the nurse tries to dissuade you from getting the results, it is entirely up to you. it is part of your medical record and you are entitled to it at any time, by law. also, I have found that the reports are much more detailed and often include info that the neuro felt compelled not to share verbally.

Sandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back