Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
Got a call from a friend of my son's Sat night saying our son was on Facebook trying to get hold of any of his friends or family. Story was he was in England got mugged lost wallet credit cards and needed $2000 to pay hotel etc to get home. Wife goes on chat and talks to this guy and before long we figure it's not our son. One of his friends was going to Western Union the guy money. We finally phoned Chris and he was home in bed in Asia. My wife talked to this guy for 20 minutes and wasn't sure it wasn't Chris. He had the Facebook account and knew all about Chris from captions under pictures I assume.
There are scam artists out there. I remain vigilant and skeptical. Sometimes it upsets people. Better safe than sorry.

AL.

Got a call from a friend of my son's Sat night saying our son was on Facebook trying to get hold of any of his friends or family. Story was he was in England got mugged lost wallet credit cards and needed $2000 to pay hotel etc to get home. Wife goes on chat and talks to this guy and before long we figure it's not our son. One of his friends was going to Western Union the guy money. We finally phoned Chris and he was home in bed in Asia. My wife talked to this guy for 20 minutes and wasn't sure it wasn't Chris. He had the Facebook account and knew all about Chris from captions under pictures I assume.
There are scam artists out there. I remain vigilant and skeptical. Sometimes it upsets people. Better safe than sorry.

AL.

i heard about this months ago what some people wont do

WOW! What a warning!Thanks for passing this on

Oh, this is just so sad...why would someone choose to be so evil? Thank goodness your wife was so proactive. glad it wasn't your son and glad that you caught the scam in time! Good work!

The exact same thing happened to My husbands business email they rerouted all his email & sent out that email about being mugged to all of his business assos. of course no one believed it I thought it was a joke at first not so funny. They stole every email out of his acct.

That's a scam that's been going around Facebook for a while; I got a similar message. They hijack someone's FB account and send this out via chat. Let's face it, if you got mugged would you really ask for help via Facebook chat?! That alone should be a red flag.

Happened to me, got the same e-mail from a friend. My sister was scammed on another Western Union Scam, and my son and I were almost scammed when we were looking for a new pet.. Gosh people are amazing...

It's just sad that people are so hurtful to each other. With no reguard to others or their feelings

You gotta wonder..if they can put sooo much effort into getting people to give up their money, why not put the same amount into a "real" job?!

GrampAl,
Your vigilant skepticism is much appreciated! Not all of us think with the skeptics eye, first, and without the cautious words from friends like you, I'd often be clueless!

This same thing happened last year with my nephew, except it was his Hotmail account. "He" sent out email to everyone in his address book about being in London, losing his wallet, needing us to wire money, etc. Same story as Al's. So it's definitely a scam that's going around. Interesting that it's migrated to Facebook now.

Further to the original story.

To: Chris Pettit <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, January 18, 2010 11:11:41 AM
Subject: Warning: Your Facebook Account

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your report.. Your account has been temporarily suspended while we investigate this security issue. Our systems indicate that your Facebook account may have been compromised by cybercriminals attempting to impersonate you or use your personal information maliciously.

It is also possible that your email account was compromised, as obtaining access to a victim's email is one of the primary ways these cybercriminals have been operating. Please select new, unique passwords for any email addresses associated with your Facebook account.

We will write back to you after we have investigated this issue. In the meantime, we encourage you to visit the following page for more information about Facebook security and how to report suspicious material: Facebook Security | Facebook. We hope to resolve this as quickly as possible and appreciate your patience.

visit the Facebook Help Center for more information.

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

You want to catch these buggers and go at em with a spoon.

I wonder if we could have a public lynching or stoning ?

Glen

good for facebook

And good for Al! We need your honest feedback on these issues, Al.

Thank you for keeping us informed Al. Beverley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back