Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
FR
State
tarn et garonne
City
valeilles
I have three old dogs, the loves of my life. Always had dogs. For the first time ever I cannot look after them properly. Have glass doors and so far have not found a way for a dog flap without having to spend more than I have. Then I cannot take them for walks now. Feeding them is really hard work. Trouble is the carer has different ideas about how they should be cared for and refuses to follow my way. No, they cannot go out, no they cannot be fed in the mornings, no, they cannot come back in, no they do not need to be taken for walks. Dogs depend on me but now I have to depend on someone else so my old dogs have to change their way of life. I HATE BEING DEPENDENT!

Are you looking for a new carer? (it seems you were) There has to be a caregiver who also loves dogs. I'm sorry you've got to deal with this on top of everything else!

irismarie, similar issue at our home. "Chip" has always been Web's pheasant hunting dog and is about 8 years old. He is such a sweet dog. Most of the year he lives outside-has a outside kennel, stays loose in the yard and unless he sees a squirrel is very obediant. I made the decision to get him groomed this Fall and make him a HOUSE friend. Web's days of bird hunting are gone. I have a full plate with caretaking and decided to make my life and Chip's life better. Chip loves being a part of the house family. Web is not happy..."You are ruining my hunting dog" is the daily comment. What to do? I only have so many hours in the day...it is a problem-how do you take care of your PAL and everything else and have everyones needs taken care of in this situation? Web is crabby about the dog hair, the dog slobber on the glass door-the dog whining...I just tell him that most of the time life and love is just MESSY! :] I am happy to have the dog in the house. Weather here is toooo cold for walking him now but he is happy to just go outside and torment those pesky squirrels for a few minutes at a time and get right back to the warm house! I don't have any solutions or answers for you but I can definately relate. xo I was raised by a animal loving and rescuing Momma. I have had indoor pets all of my life-dogs, cats, birds, reptiles. Web was raised without pets in the house so it is a different perspective I suppose. :]

I think the saying Dog is man's best friend is so true. It is so sad when we are unable to care for them, or they get old and pass away. But, I guess that is the way of life. I have had many dogs in my over 63 years of life. None disappointed me or let me down. Wish I could say the same for some people.

I did have a similar problem back when I was working full time, running my daughter, (then little) to ballet, gym etc after work...and the long hours I would sometimes have to be away from home. I found a doggy door that you just insert into a sliding glass door. The glass door closes up against it instead of all the way where I could lock it. (then just put a stick in the runner to act as a lock for the door) Anyway, there was no construction or anything needed with that. No more messes in the house and the dog could come and go as she liked because we have a fenced back yard. I got it at Petsmart, like 50.00. As for the walks, if your dogs isnt a couch potato like my 2 dachshunds you could use a treadmill. Have you ever watched "The Dog Whisperer" on the National Geographic channel? He is on every day and shows how dogs can still get their exercise by using a treadmill. You just have to catch the right episode. Hopefully this helps. I agree about getting a different caregiver....you should have someone who understands what is important to you without creating more stress!
Hugs,
Blu

I have had dogs all of my life almost all of them have been dumped off or neglected. All diff. Breeds some beautiful full blooded. I had a siberian husky with blue eyes that was dumped at the steel mill where we lived the guys where going to throw him in the furnace. My husband brought him home to me. I had a rottweiler that was dumped off on my rode & now I have a beautiful border collie that was dumped & a couple of mixed breeds. My heart goes out to anyone with pets & are struggling to care for them they are a lot of work they are just like children. To ask that your pets change their life style so late in life is wrong but I guess you will need to compromise at some point for the pets security.

Love you, Pidge

The glass door closes up against it instead of all the way where I could lock it. (then just put a stick in the runner to act as a lock for the door)

Trying to imagine this. Does it mean that the door is actually still open?

Yep, you just take the stick out and the door opens. It wont be as wide because the doggie door is still there. It has springs on the top of the doggie door and you just pull it down and fit it in place. Wish I could draw you a picture!
Hugs,
Kari

can you find a link anywhere please?

THank you
Brilliant idea but a bit too dear unfortunately:-(

irismarie, the first link is the one that I was talking about. However, the price is way way more than I had to pay. Hope you get the help you need!
Hugs Girl! Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back