Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Panama City
I'm a little confused with my NCV/EMG results and hoped someone out there could help me with the results of my tests:

Routine nerve conduction studies of the right lower extremity were normal. Cramp fasciculation protocol performed on the right tibial motor nerve demonstrated a cramp discharge following 20Hz repetitive nerve stimulation only, and lasted for more than 4 seconds.

Concentric needle examination selected right upper and lower extremity muscles demonstrated fasciculation potentials in the abductor hallucis muscle only. No cramp discharges, multiplecs, or continuous motor unit activity was seen.

Anyone?

sorry, I can not help you. What did your Dr. say?

I am not familiar with this cramp discharge protocol, but it sounds like as part of the NCV they did rapid stimulation of your nerves in order to try to induce a cramp, and they did. I don't know what that would mean other than confirming that you are prone to cramps, which you probably already know.

The needle EMG is more diagnostic for ALS, and there the only abnormality seen was fasciculations. But fasciculations are common and do not indicate ALS. They did not see any of the abnormalities indicating denervation, such as polyphasic and large motor units. So to me this would be a pretty "clean" EMG and would send the neurologist in another direction than ALS. But of course your doctor will be the expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back