Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
UK
State
Nottinghamshire
City
Nottingham
I read with interest on the A.L.S.T.D.I. forum about the possible connection of hammer toes and other boney abnormalities of the feet and A.L.S.. There was some research conducted years ago, but think it must have stopped. My hubby has hammer toes, one on each foot, and the bones of his feet are collapsing.

Best wishes, Cherry.

Husband diagnosed. Sept. 2009 P.B.P./ A.L.S.

Usually when you find old stuff with no new news it means the study went nowhere. I think it's probably coincidence that your hubby has foot problems.

AL.

I did read that research also. I have the super long skinny toes, and they curl.. My husband has teased me about them since we were dating. My hands were always long and skinny. Always complemented on them..Maybe just a incidental finding. Who knows..

Hi everyone.....

Im a 21 yr old male. Just found out I have foot drop aka C.M.T, and I was just wondering if theres any links to A.L.S. I would also like to know if maybe some of you's had C.M.T or drop foot before you were diagnosed with A.L.S.
As for Hammer toes......I have a hammer foot and didnt think it was going to be as serious as it is and totally wished I would listened to my mom and went to have it checked out earlier....Im still waiting to see a neurologist.
I guess mothers really do know best :)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays :) from Kevin in Windsor!

Hammer toes,drop foot,sounds familiar!I rode Harleys all my life!(Boy,do I miss that)Noticed that I could'nt shift with my toe and was using my whole leg to shift wth,went to a foot doctor,he had me try to stand on tip-toe,I could't.He sent me to a spinal doctor,who sent me to a neuorologist,the tests began in earnest and a couple of years later,here I am,nearly a quad!Funny how time flys?I still consider my self lucky,I have a lovng and supportive family and can communicate still.But,it all began with hammer toes and drop foot.Karl

thewanderer,

Do you have an official diagnosis of CMT from a qualified neurologist, or have you diagnosed yourself with the aid of Dr. Google? A drop foot can be caused by CMT, but it also can be caused by a large number of other conditions, including nerve damage from physical injury.

CMT is a disease of the peripheral nerves in the arms and legs, including the hands and feet. It is inherited and is considered a type of peripheral neuropathy. Things such as drop foot or hammer toes occur in CMT because of damage to nerves that move those parts of the body. CMT does not affect normal life expectancy and is not considered a fatal disease, although it is incurable at this time.

CMT and drop foot are not the same. CMT and ALS are not the same thing. Bringing a discussion of CMT into an ALS message board, lacking a diagnosis for both diseases at the same time just encourages useless speculation and causes other Googlers needless worry. The two diseases may look similar in their effects, but they are radically different in their pathology. Confusing one for the other simply breeds more misinformation, and that doesn't serve anyone's interest.

Good luck with your neuro appointment.

Thanks for those tid-bits of information trfogey.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back