Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
waynesboro
Please help. My MIL started receiving Medicare and just got BlueCross Insurance. My sister in law and husband tried to order her feeding supplies and colostomy supplies and everyone they talk to say they don't participate with her BlueCross. My question is shouldn't Medicare be her primary insurance? Could someone please explain how this works. I know she only has Medicare part A.

Josie,

Medicare can (should already) have sent out a catalog that includes which pharmacies are in network for the prescription plan she is in. Did she sign up for prescription coverage? This is separate from the original Medicare plan which those who are on SSDI are enrolled in. The SSDI (the red white and blue card) is part A & B, and covers 20% of fees for doctor visits, testing, and hospitalization. However, prescription coverage is part D, and needs to be chosen specific to the state she lives in. There is an added monthly premium cost for part D.

I've found the Medicare people to be amazingly (surprisingly) helpful on the phone. They are very patient and will help your family compare the various plans if asked. Alternatively, you can compare online.

If your MIL has other medical coverage in place, and this continues to be affordable to her, it most likely will cover more of the costs than a Medicare prescription plan will.

Thank you for your reply. It's just a little overwhelming at times with everything. Again thanks. Merry Christmas

Josie ... if your MIL's insurance is an HMO, as my Blue Shield coverage is, then she may have signed over all her Medicare benefits to Blue Cross, and everything must now go through the insurance company, not Medicare.

As Rose said, she may get more benefits through the insurance plan, but she will surely have more paperwork and hassles. IF this is the case, you must watch the insurance company carefully. They are obligated by law to provide all the benefits Medicare does, but they will probably not inform your MIL of all the Medicare benefits. I found out by accident (on this forum) that Medicare pays for feeding supplements if you have a peg tube ... 9 months after I'd been paying out of pocket for the very expensive supplements. And I can't recover the costs.

Check out the policy. These plans are VERY tricky. The expensive policies supplement Medicare. The bargain policies replace it. Of course, one can always change insurance (or drop it) during open enrollment.

But in my case, Medicare is no longer my primary ... and in fact, I cannot access my Medicare benefits at all as long as I have Blue Shield (unless I go on hospice, which is another story).

It was explained to me that her policy is Capital Blue Cross Senior Blue PPO plan (a Medicare advantage plan) so it's an all inclusive plan.Her Medicare is not separate from her Capital Blue Cross- her Capital Blue Cross includes her Medicare. I'm not real sure what all inclusive means yet but my husband and sister in law are working on it. It sounds to me that this isn't very good. She's low on everything.

If anyone can put this in simplier words I would appreciate it.

I know that Walgreens home health covers medicare plans. My mom had a medicare replacement plan as well. She had secure horizons which is a medicare advantage plan, or private pay per service. If your mom has a primary dr. that takes this plan then have him/her write a prescription for the home health care agency. My moms dr. delt with them directly and they called me. The way the plan works is that they do the billing for Medicare and then adjust benefits according to their plan. For us, we had a co-pay of about 20%. You can call blue cross and ask what their coverage is and who their providers are. Or even better you can go to their website to get a list of providers. Feel free to ask my any questions because I spent the last year figuring it all out. It sounds horrible at first but turned out not to be as bad as I thought. My biggest problem was having to find dr.'s that accepted the plan.

Josie here is the website for your MIL's insurance plan. https://seniorblueppo.capbluecross.com/ProviderDirectory/

It has information about benefits and providers for your family to read through. Your going to need to know if she has Option 1,2, 3 or 4. On the benefit summary page depending on the option your MIL purchased look in the row for DME (Durable Medical Equipment) section. This will tell you what the SeniorBlue will cover.

There is also a provider directory page that allows you to search your area for which providers are in network.

If she is new to Gtube and colostomy she hopefully has home health nurse who should be helping you guys with this information.

Hope this helps.
Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back