Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
KY
City
Stanford
Wondering if a severe cramp in left side is something any PALS have experienced? I can't remember my Mother ever complaining about that one.

King of cramps here! My calf muscles are in a continual cramp but I'm just about numb to it all. My cramps and fasciculations stem from UMN problems as I have PLS (or, so I've been told - still sort of denying it).

There is something called Benign Fasciculation/Cramp Syndrome, too! The doc says I don't have that but I wonder...

Zaphoon

When my wife rolled me onto my left side last night I got a large cramp down the torso. Went away on it's own after stretching. I've had it before occasionally.

AL.

My diagnosed is PLS. I had severe cramping in my calf and toes on my left side. I started doing ROM/stretching exercises every day and I take a high dose of Magnesium and Potassium and they have gone away.

Judith,

I was taking 250mg of magnesium daily and it had no effect. After doing this for several months, a neurologist suggested I stop taking it.

What dosages are you taking? I'm ready to get rid of these cramps (no kidding, they've been non-stop for a year and a half!)!

My husband is having good results with Qualaquin 324 mg 2 x day. Our neuro prescribed it, but warned us that since its main purpose is an anti-malaria medication, not all insurances will cover it for ALS. But for some reason our Prescription coverage will provide it. However we are paying for it at the highest tier. But it really helps with his severe cramping/ Charlie Horses!

Zaphoon,
I take 500mg. of Magnesium daily. I also started taking 200 mg. of Potassium.

For about the past 10 years every now and again i would get a severe cramp in my left calf. (especially in bed) So much so that some times i would pass out from the pain.

Since my diognose of PLS these have almost vanished, the ones i do get are no where as intense as before. I do get now the occasional cramp in my thumbs when i try and hold small things tightly.

A couple of things come to mind,
was the cramps a early sign of PLS (it would fit in with the diagnosed.) and
as i am taking a range of vitimins (not as much Mag and Pot. as Judith though) is that reducing them to a managable level?

One thing though i do know is, no 2 people are the same with symptoms etc with MND. every one has somthing different. No wonder it is hard to pin the sucker down.

cheers
Peter

Judith,

Thanks for the dosage amounts. I'll try what you're doing and see if it helps in my case.

Kim

Kim,
I sure hope it helps. I know those cramps are unbearable.

I still can't help but believe that what I have may be Cramp Fasciculation Syndrome. I don't know if hyper reflexes and Babinksi sign would point away from that but otherwise, all else fits.

I'll bring it up again on my next neuro visit. He must get tired of me suggesting it but I think if I keep it up, I may be able to talk my way out of this PLS diagnosed.

Kim

I have very little, almost no cramping, but still getting weak...

Let me clarify.... severe cramps in the upper left abdomen, under the breast bone, and now wondering about the upper right abdomen too?

Jim has had severe rt abd pain - gets worse w/ activity. After several mos of evaluation & testing the neuros believe it is muscle degeneration

i am taking 500mg. of magnesium, 100mg. of potassium and 1,000 mg. of calcium daily. does anyone have other supplements they're taking that has helped the leg/feet cramping at night? i tried baclofen, but made me nauseous.

judith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back