01/2009
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Didsbury
Hi

Just logged on for first time. My husband has had ALS symptoms in left hand/arm for on going 3 1/2 years. Showing now in right hand. EMG's prove to show in left and right arm and right leg. Resistence test from neurologist now shows weak in left ankle, but he does not feel this, still feels strong. Throat clearing but no sign of Bulbar. He is diagnosed as ALS at ALS/Neuro Muscular Clinis by same Neurologist that has been eliminating Multifocal Motor Neuropathy, MMN, and other possibilities.

January 09 decided it showed itself in three different areas as ALS.

Here is the thing. Last month his sister attends EMG testing for weak ankle/leg. Weak hands/forearms. And much weakness soft palette of mouth and slight over production of saliva and throat mucas. Same ALS/Neuro Muscular Clinic but different neurologist last month gave her a possible diagnosis of IBM, Inclusion Body Myositosis. Which is a syndrome that mimics ALS in most area's of mobility and EMG testing yet does not end with diaphram and breathing restrictions. He says this is 'not' ALS by showings or test results. But can be diagnosed by muscle biopsy.
She may have to wait for 4 months for this biopsy.

My husband attended asap back to his same Dr and clinic last week to request same biopsy. He also waits now. Dr. says that there is a 7% chance in the clinic of misdiagnosis but says that this is not one.

My question is has anyone out there come across ALS vs IBM misdiagnosis? Or what does anyone EMG's showing ALS but is something else. And what knowledge of IBM.

Is there a chance Neurologist is wrong?

We are also involved with a Dr. who is trying effexor to aid/slow progression. Has anyone knowledge or papers on this?

And how many of you also, like my husband have extremely below normal levels of Vitamin D and testestrone.

Thanks, Shawna

Hi Shawna, welcome and thanks for bringing this condition to our attention, it is not one I have heard of before. The thing I would expect with this or any other muscle specific disease is that you would not see upper motor neuron (UMN) signs since the brain is not involved. This would include brisk reflexes, spasticity, and loss of dexterity (clumsiness). Normally a neurologist would want to see those in order to diagnose ALS. Sometimes UMN signs are weak, or a person may just happen to have naturally brisk reflexes, so it is not always a clear distinction.

As far as slowing progression, there are many different opinions and things people have tried; you could try searching the forums for ideas. It is hard for any of us to know whether our programs are working though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shawna,

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's neurological problems. It sounds like you are pursuing the right course on getting a biopsy. Whatever it is, he obviously has very slow progression so you will have lots of time to deal with it. I have no personal experience with IBM. On the more minor issue of blood levels. I have heard that PALS have low vitamin D levels so I recently asked my doctor for a blood test. He assured me that virtually everyone in Canada can assume they have low Vitamin D because of our northern latitude. He recommended I take a supplement which I have been doing for 2 years. I just wanted to see how well it was working. As for testosterone, my levels seem fine as near as I can tell.:razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back