Friend was DX
Country
IN
State
Tamilnadu
City
India
Hi all,

I am 30 years old Indian. I was diagnosed MND in my 20's ( I mean 2003) now I am in 30.
Only my left hand and palm is affected my muscle wasting.

During my college days I used to lot of exercise which is very heavy for my physique. All of sudden I found my left hand is bit small than right hand. Then I went to neurologist they did EMG& MRI and suggested that I have MND.

I was so worried and started searching for info etc. End up with nothing after 6 years there is no further progress in my hand it same as when I was diagnosed

But some times I can fell muscle twitching occasionally. I am accountant I could even type fastly but cannot use little finger but cannot able to noticed. What I mean to say I didn't last anything due to this except worry some days during my early diagnose

But now I am confused is it MND or Hirayama's disease (Monomelic Amyotroph)

MND - Max life span 5 years in that case I can say mine is Hiryama

:-x Confusing again

Hello Shiva, your case does sound unusual. Sometimes young people with ALS (MND) do have a slow progression but it sounds like you have had no progression at all. I agree that this suggests the diagnosis was wrong. You should try to find a doctor and clinic which specializes in MND to evaluate your situation. With a better diagnosis maybe they will even be able to treat your condition and you will improve. Good luck!

Now some one suggested in might Monomelic Amyotrophy. Its mostly prevailing in India and Japan young males. MND is quite abnormal for male under 25 isn't? I was diagnosed when I was in 22+. True very difficult to find a neurologist who specialized in MND

Monolemic Amyotrophy is a form of motor neuron disease, at least the definition in America. I know in the UK motor neuron disease is the same as ALS. Do you have an upper motor neuron symptoms? All of my symptoms are lower motor type, no reflexes and hypotonia and of course the results from my two emg's, all in my left leg. If you had to have a motor neuron disease than MA is the best one to have. Relax and enjoy life.

Thanks mate Hope so.

I don't have any upper motor symptoms. Comparing to my right hand left hand is smaller than 20-35% and bit more on palm. I remember when I was diagnosed it was same now also its same

I read somewhere during cold season MA will progress more and can feel easily during its progression time. I feel the same within a year when it was diagnosed

Even for MA fasciculation is common right. Do you have any fasciculation I mean muscle twitching in the affected areas?

Yes, I do have fasiculations off and on.

I plan to take Vitamin E and some antioxidant tab or multivitamin tablets . Do you feel is it necessary for Hirayama?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back