Diagnosis
06/2009
Country
US
State
PA
City
FORD CITY
My Step-father was recently diagnosed with ALS. What could I buy him to help him in his daily life? thank you..:p

That is a difficult question to answer without knowing about him and his ALS. What kind of symptoms does he have? I am sorry for his diagnosis, not a great time of year for such awful news but welcome to the forum.

my best thing so far is a roller walker where I can put all my weight on my arms on padded rests while the wheels take me along as I "walk". Most important additions are a tray and a basket. Wonderful to be able to "carry" my own things around. Will try (again) to post a photo
Irismarie

hope the upload worked

Attachments

• walker001.jpg
    walker001.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 123
One question is whether your step-father would get discouraged by receiving gifts oriented around his illness and future needs, and would prefer more lighthearted gifts that would help him forget about his problems. Practical things on my mental christmas list include comfortable slippers that are easy to put on, pants and shirts with easy fastenings, electric toothbrush (actually I got this a month ago but it really helps). A bigger item is an iPod Touch, this has some helpful apps supposedly but actually I've always wanted one :). I don't need a walker yet, I get by with an aluminum cane, and I wonder if I should ask for a nice wooden one or if I would use it too briefly to be practical. A bath brush, I'm having trouble reaching my back in the shower. I'm thinking of an electric shaver; I've always used a blade but I think once I stop shaving myself it might be easier for other people to use an electric so maybe I should switch now to get used to it. Food gifts might be appreciated if he can eat - I figure I probably have only a few months eating left so it is time to eat everything that tastes good. Besides they say that putting on a little weight is actually good for you. Maybe a Netflix subscription if he doesn't have one, it is a good way to enjoy movies once it is not so easy to get out. One thing I want to do is to figure out how to hook a computer to our TV so we could watch shows from the web, that is supposed to be a good way to get free TV, so if someone in your family is technical maybe they could help with that.

Actually I'm getting a lot of good ideas writing this, I need to go make a real Christmas list :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back