Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
I inquired about getting my husband fitted for a wheelchair at our next visit on the 18th of this month, as his legs are about shot and he's tired of falling. I didn't know if they would have time, but they told us to arrive early and they will be able to do it. The clinic response was that we need to do it at that time so that documentation will be on record before the end of the year so the MDA will pay the $2000 towards the purchase.

We have not received the letter from the MDA regarding the budget cut for wheelchairs and communication devices, but the clinic did only this week.

I know this was mentioned on another thread, but thought I'd post the response from the clinic so others may be able to benefit before the end of the year.:cry:

This will be the clinic meeting at which will be discussed a PEG (and scheduled), ProLoQuo2Go communication software and the chair. A lot to cram in!

wow, don't you feel like you have to "get in shape" for this type of marathon? that's a lot to take in for one visit.....i will be praying for your emotional strength building.

On the same road and holding your hand. I ASKED for him to be fitted but the ALS Clinic refused as he is not weak enough. :[
I received the MDA letter yesterday, most of our services are gone...I wonder if they reduced salaries or benefits for administration?

I don't need a chair yet but probably will sometime next year the rate my legs are going, unless I get lucky and plateau (come on, plateau!). Our local MDA rep is super nice and said I don't quality for a full power chair now but they will try to get my something before the end of the year, a small transfer chair or something. She said it would be motorized and should be good enough for a while. So that will be something anyway.

People, let this be the voice of experience.

Don't wait until you have to get a chair. If you are like me , you will wait until you hurt or break something to make that call.

I think I am going to have constant pain in my back from my last fall. If I had not been so stubborn , I might have avoided that.

When I got my chair , I said , I should have done this earlier.

Make sure the person fitting the chair does a good job of recording that info.

Glen

CJ, that is a lot to handle at once, but all are good developments for your husband's long-term functioning. Glad you will get the paperwork under the deadline.

I got measured for my chair last week (burgandy and black, tilt back, laptop mount, etc. ... I asked for OnStar, but they wouldn't go for it), and I'm hoping like hell it goes through.

MDA was supposed to get me a loaner motorized thingy too, but haven't heard more about that. My ALSA rep is coming by today for her farewell visit. The patient reps have all been laid off in the greater LA area. Thank God for ALS Guardian Angels!

Let us know when his peg placement will be.

The ones of you that got the elevator lift on the chair Do you use it? Is it worth the money?

Yes! All of the above.

I was wrong about the ALSA reps being laid off. My rep is retiring, but will be replaced. I'm SURE she had sent me a message a month ago saying there were layoffs, but I guess I was wrong again.

My apologies to ALSA !

Beth-
Maybe "right pew, wrong church" type of thing. The MDA sent out letters a few months back saying THEY were doing layoffs. So don't worry, you're not losing it! (yet, LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back