Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
FR
State
tarn et garonne
City
valeilles
Tracked down a second hand scooter that I am going to look at Wednesday. Still a lot of money that I cannot afford to spend unwisely. What should I look for in particular, please, to be sure it is good.
Thanks, all
Irismarie

Tell us something about it; eg. length, 3 or 4 wheel, ground clearance, brand. Do you plan to use it inside, outside or both?

Batteries are a significant expense item. They may need annual replacement. How new are they and how long (distance) will they presently go between re-charging. Can you get local repair service and parts for that brand?

Already stuff to think about there. I know nothing except that it is hardly used. I asked my local garage man to keep his eye open for me as he obviously meets hundreds of people every day and he replied that his aunt had one for sale as she was too nervous to use it...........so jumping on a sychronicity bandwagon I am going to see it on Wednesday and needed to know what would be good and what not so good..........;I hope to use it outdoors as I want to be able to run with my dogs as in the old days........among other things

Irismarie, if your primary use is outside I would look for a large 4 wheeler (>120 cm) with >9 cm ground clearance. If you will be riding on rough ground or gravel roads I would recommend having spring suspension and solid tires (not pneumatic) to avoid inconvenient flat tires. For better traction look for tire diameters of >29 cm.

Such a scooter will be more expensive than average but will repay you in much more enjoyable riding and greater choice of where you can safely go, especially for the steep hills you describe. I would caution you though that large 4 wheelers are not of much use inside because of their bulk and poor turning radius.

You might ask the woman selling the scooter whether you can try it for a few days before comitting.

Do you have local eBay or online advertising like craigslist.com? They are often good sources of used equipment.

John

Iris,

I have a loaner scooter from ALS Association, and it sounds like completely opposite the kind John is recommending. But it suits my needs. So it depends on your needs.

Mine is a 3-wheel lightweight scooter that separates into 5 pieces, the heaviest is only 25 pounds. So I can fit it in the trunk of my car and remove it myself and set it up on the pavement. But I can only use it for flat, well-paved areas.

-Tom

Hey Iris,

I agree with John for a four wheeler. I feel a three wheeler will have possiblilty to tip, if the dog makes a run for a cat or something.

I have one that is more rugged , and you can not take it apart and throw it in a trunk.

Obviously , try driving it with one hand , and trying a quick turn , like avoiding something , to check for stability. Also , check how far it takes to stop from full speed to dead stop.

I agree with Glen about not getting a three wheeler. Those are great for indoor use, portability and shopping but they are tippy. I have a medium size Sundancer three wheeler and when I use it outside occasionally to walk the dog I'm very aware of the chance of tipping. I've flipped twice outdoors on my little Go-Go and had to go to emergency. We got a 40 cm dump of snow on Sunday and I was out on the three wheeler yesterday skidding around in my driveway after it was plowed. It was exciting but not recommended.

love you guys
irismarie
Checking material out this afternoon

Great! Telling the girl to do wheelies and 360s!Shame on you guys!lol Next you'll be telling her to be sure to get flames!

ISnt it normal to do wheelies? That is what I am getting it for And those sparks off the floor when going round corners and your boots scrape the tarmac................

In fact I was unable to go and see the scooter today - had to postpone it BUT had the present of a wonderful walker so I can actually carry stuff whill putting my weight on the special handlebars to get around. Got a basket AND a tray. Who's a lucky girl, then?

ISnt it normal to do wheelies? That is what I am getting it for And those sparks off the floor when going round corners and your boots scrape the tarmac................

In fact I was unable to go and see the scooter today - had to postpone it BUT had the present of a wonderful walker so I can actually carry stuff whill putting my weight on the special handlebars to get around. Got a basket AND a tray. Who's a lucky girl, then?

See Keeker , this lady gets it. She is facing a scooter or w/c and wants to have some fun with it.

Still have not found some suitable flames decals yet.

Glen

ok, you win!;) My four by four doesn't do wheelies or 360s . Had a 'tang that lifted the front end off of the ground, does that count? I want flames too!

I want a scooter too. This city is full of them. Must be a new fad! Not so many in winter. Everywhere in the other seasons. Not orange though.

My first car when I was 17 was a 1967 Austin Mini with a 850 cc engine and 10 inch wheels. It was my first scooter and Colleen, your Mustang lifted the front end, my entire car was lifted by the football team and deposited in a snowbank!

Show off!My tang was orange!(shudder)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back