Diagnosis
12/2009
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
sm
I was just diagnosed with ALS. I had symptoms since 1997 and got worse when I had my daughter in 2005. Since then it really hasn't got worse, just falling. I think that has more impact on my body then ALS itself....

Hey, if the diagnosis is correct, enjoy the lengthy plateau!

Zaphoon

Marti,

I've heard stories of it plateauing but I've never known anyone on the forums actually reporting it. The good news for you is that if you've had symptoms for 12 years, then you have extremely slow progression and will likely go for months without seeing a change. I think you can expect to continue to have extremely slow progression and likely live a fairly normal life for many years. When I was diagnosed I was given the usual 2-5 year prognosis but after five years I was still driving, working, eating and talking fairly well. I did start using a scooter after five years. I had symptoms for 6 years prior to my diagnosis. I'm still working and driving nine years post diagnosed. You drew a long straw.

If you have this slow a progression then it has to be PLS and yes, I have heard of PLS going dormant for years and years.

Marti,

Do you have upper motor neuron symptoms or lower? If only upper, you may have PLS as Joel suggests.

I have upper and lower symptoms and My EMG/NCS show mild ongoing denervation, as moderate-to-severe reinnervation. Same in my muscle biopsy

Marti, it sounds to me like you have very slowly progressing ALS. Or, if you had progression previously and it now has stopped, perhaps you are one of the rare PALS who have plateaued. Whichever, I wish you continued good health.

There have been cases of ALS plateauing permanently. Additionally, there are some slow cases of classical ALS in addition to PLS or UMN dominant ALS.

Marti/John,

our of interest - what was your 'site' of onset? And do you have much atrophy?

My partner has been diagnosed with limb onset a year ago, both upper and lower motor neuron involvement, left hand/arm has been hit first, now mild weakness in the right. Two years of symptoms, still functioning fairly well. I just hope it stays relatively slow.

Dani

Dani, my speech was the first to be impacted. It got gradually worse for several years, followed by swallowing problems and finally limb and now hand involvement. Interestingly, my speech and swallowing issues have been erratic and are currently only mild. In contrast, my rate of limb deterioration has been pretty constant from when it started. I have very little, if any, atrophy.

John

Hi Dani-
My symptoms started in my left hip then in my left leg while I was in the ARMY...Which was very slow when it started in 1986 Then after having my Daughter in 2005 it went in my left arm which has atrophy, weakness in fingers. I have more problems in my legs...No breathing, or swallowing problems.

Thanks both.

Both with unusual presentations and patterns - John, you know what they say about bulbar onset! Once again the heterogeneity of the condition is highlighted. What is fascinating is the erratic nature of speech/swallowing issues. Marti - I have never heard of hip onset, so that is a first for me.

I hope you both continue as slowly as it has been up to now. Dani

Thanks Dani
:wink:
I hope you and your partner be well this holiday season!
And you as well.

Hi Dani,

Yes, my progression has been most unusual for bulbar onset. The more I learn, the more I appreciate that each PALS has his/her own path to follow.

I wish you and Laurence the best over the holidays and of course your baby-to-be.

John

Marti

I just had a converstaion with my GP about that yesterday and my neuro a few weeks ago. I am not diagnosed at this point, but have had a rapid onset of symptoms and progression over a 12 week period. My doctors said that something significant is going on. The really frustrating thing (which also gives me hope), is that I have had many, but not all, of these symptoms episodically (real word? :)) since I was 15 years old.

When I was 15, my right side went clumsy and I had no balance...kept 'falling' to the left when I walked. I was told it was vertigo. At 17, I was in the hospital for a week with more left side clumsiness, but also brutal abdominal pain (like my midsection was being squeezed with a belt). They thought appendix, then kidney stones, then had no explanation. I've continued to have symptoms every year or few years for 30 years! In the late 90's I had places all over my body where the muscles were 'knotted' and those spots were excrutiating to touch. In 2001, my left side was out of whack and I was clumsy again, but this time, my tongue changed shape and would not come out straight anymore. I also had a few days of calf twitching. Neuros said migraine or MS that wasn't visible on mri, or some pathology that they couldn't find. I remember he said that a cause can not be found in 30% to 40% of neurological issues. I didn't even both going back to a doctor when things returned for 3 months in Fall 2005. Same symptoms, but added absolute exhaustion, night sweats and brutal muscular pain in lower back (kidney area), and upper back.

This August, I started with trouble chewing, swallowing and writing (with my right hand). Soon after, all the left side clumsiness kicked in, but with non stop twitching and 12 weeks of progressive weakness in all limbs. That limb is new! I do have intense pain on bottom of feet and base of thumb, night sweats, abdominal 'tightness', lots of numbness/tingling (which my neuro says can come with als), and 'shaking' episodes which last for 10-15 sec at a time . The 'coolest' symptom this time is when I just start bleeding in dozens of places-at the exact same time-all over my hands, arms, face and forehead. It happened in September and last week. It's as though someone is taking a needle and poking me all over, all at once. That's really fun. It doesn't hurt. I just wipe the little tiny drops of blood, and that seems to be the end of it.

OMG, sorry for rambling. There was a point when I started. Oh yeah; Is this the same thing as before? Who knows? My GP and neuro both think it's unlikely (but not impossible) to be something new. They both have told me that I have many symptoms of als this time and they continue to test to find another explanation. I have many, many symptoms I've felt for nearly 30 years, and some new crappy ones which are scary and progressing quickly. Have I had als since 15 years old, is this it now or is it still something that will go undiagnosed?

The nervous system is one strange, strange entity.

Good luck to you and take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back