Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Anaheim
This is off-topic in the sense that it has little to do with my ALS, but nevertheless is very painful and I want to share it. My family has always been very supportive and that has played a big part in my attitude toward this disease. Many of you have shared my joy at some of my vacations, adventures, and at my two daughters’ weddings this year.

A couple months ago my wife Heidi of 30 years asked me for a “night out” once a week so she can go out with friends and clear her head and get away from negative thoughts. Of course I agreed and soon after her mood seemed to improve. Two weeks ago I looked at the phone bill and noticed many calls from her cell phone to one particular number that didn’t match anyone I knew. I called the number and was able to get a man’s name, the name of a “friend” that she had partially crossed the line with before 2 and a half years earlier. That night, Nov 17, I confronted her and she denied everything, just that he was a good friend who helped her with her depression, told her to be good to me, and kicked her butt when she had negative thoughts.

Stupid me, I believed her. The phone calls stopped. I checked the wireless account daily.

Friday the 27th I found a oddly-named file on the computer, opened it, and found a narrative description of this confrontation. She described in detail and with pride how deceptive she was. I could tell by the tone that it was written for him. Now I realize how stupid I was and was determined to get as much information as possible. So I then hacked into her email accounts and found explicit sex acts described and how she was looking forward to doing these things again and again. And how she would miss him over the long Thanksgiving weekend but that he would always be in her heart wherever she goes.

I confronted her Friday night with the printouts, there was no denial. I didn’t use anger or harsh tones, but I was very firm. I demanded she make a choice. If she chose him, or if she needed more time to decide, she could pack up and leave until she was ready. If she chose me, there are conditions: promise there will be no contact ever again in any form, in person, email, phone, etc. And she must give me her second phone. And she must forfeit her passwords to all her email accounts and to her phone. It took her a couple hours, but thankfully she chose me and met my conditions.

She denied having a second phone but I found it two days later. I knew it because the phone calls stopped showing up on the wireless account. I still cannot get her to tell me what on earth she needed to keep this phone for if she wasn’t going to contact him again.

I am so torn up about this I keep having these images in my head of all they were doing. Everytime I am reminded of a support group meeting or a hockey game on Monday night I have this image of what she was doing at that moment.

I still love her very much. She rejects going to marriage counseling. I can’t trust her with anything she says anymore. I had to physically watch her email the guy and end it. And just before that she hastily deleted an email.

So, the ALS part of this whole thing is that:
1. Being perfectly honest, I would give her more slack here, because I NEED her. I am not in the position to go out and court somebody else, or hire a full-time caregiver. I still love her and want to keep her anyway. But it’s worth consideration, and because of this I know I’m more prone to be tolerant.
2. I know that my condition will deteriorate. And I have read on this forum and others how the intimacy goes away when the caregiver and the spouse are the same person. If I can’t satisfy her now, what chance do I stand in the future?
3. I am concerned that she will keep him in her heart because she knows that I’ve got only a few years left and she would wait for him (me?) So maybe she will try to not forget him, just put him on the back burner. Then I don’t get 100%. I know that sounds selfish, but I’m just being honest.

I’m not expecting any answers here. Sometimes it just helps to rant. Anyone who knows how to get past this horror please let me know. Emotionally it rivals my diagnosis day.

-Tom

Last edited:
Oh Tom, this is the worst kind of news! I am so sorry about this development and you are not being selfish! Your marriage vows stated - in sickness and health till death due us part.

It is not to much to expect loyalty while you are alive!

Once something like this happens it is hard to trust again, my heart goes out to you!

If I can help in any way PM me.

Tom, I'm heart-broken for you. There is nothing to say except that I will keep you in my prayers. It is beyond belief.

oh Tom, i am so sorry this has happened. praying for you and for your wife

That is so rough. My thoughts are with you.

Tom,

I've always regarded you as an intelligent, sharp fellow. You've heard the old saying, "Ignorance is bliss". Well, in a case like this, it would be my hope that I'd not be sharp enough to catch the clues and remain clueless, were it ever to happen to me.

I have my own thoughts regarding a spouse that would do this sort of thing but out of respect for you and your family, I'll keep my fingers off of the keyboard.

I'm pulling for you, Tom!

Zaphoon

Tom, I'm so sorry it happened to you.
I'll be thinking and praying for you.
Erica.

Tom,
I agree with everyone else, you are such a great man. You are such a asset on the forum, and I like everyone else thinks of you as an intelligent, genuine, kind man. I am so sorry anyone would ever hurt you. We will be here for whatever happens, but please know this is not your fault, you are not selfish, you are always helpful.. I always think that if the rich and famous cannot stay faithful, well then anyone can be rotten.. We all hate to hear this..

I am so sorry this has happened to you,My prayers will be for her to realize what a great husband she has & to remain faithful from now on.God Bless.
Sharon

Tom,

That is not fair. You don't deserve this.

I have always had my own views on something like this , and they have not changed , even when I got sick. I choose not to express that openly.

At some point your heart and your brain will have to come together in a decision you will make.

We are here for you.

Glen

Tom,
I am so sorry you are going through this.
I cannot think of other words to describe my thoughts at this time that wouldnt catch the ire of the moderators.
Thinking of you in this difficult time you are having.

Peter

Oh....sweet Tom...this is just horrid and :shock::shock::shock:
I feel REALLY :evil: and :cry: Sounds like the MONKEYS need to make a trip to California :evil:
Betrayal is such a heart wound...:cry: I have wrapped my arms around you and I am holding you safe in my heart. I had a very similar experience with my ex husband and I can soooo identify with your agony. This is what I learned from that experience and I want you to hear this, feel this and believe this truth-HER BEHAVIOR is NOT ABOUT YOU! It is about her.
sending you hugs from the Prairie, Kay Marie

Tom, I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this!I hope that you don't regret your decision. We are here for you if you need someone to talk to.Have been there too,but not in your circumstsnces. Good luck.
Colleen

Tom, this is just too cruel! You are not being selfish for wanting 100% of your wife's love and attention, after all, that is why we marry in the first place. I hope that you are around for a long time and any time you want to rant we are here.

Thank you all for the outpouring of support. I knew I could count on you guys!

I think I just needed somebody to talk to. I needed to get it all out. I really don't want to bring any friends or anyone in the family into this, because I don't want Heidi to be shunned for her indescretion. She's dealing with her own issues of depression, an eating disorder, and some kind of dimentia or at least severe short term memory loss. She needs all the support she can get too and I don't want to drive the family away from her.

Thanks to those of you that "took my side". I'm not really looking for that but I'm happy that there are those that would stand up for me. I've made my share of mistakes in this marriage, neglecting her years ago with working long hours and my softball and golf, etc. I've been selfish with things and been controlling. But I've NEVER cheated on her, not even a kiss, in 30 years.

I just feel like something's been taken away from me that can never be replaced. Perhaps like a rape victim might feel. Sounds crazy, I feel kinda crazy right now.

Hugs to all (but no kisses ;-) ),
-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back