Reason
PALS
Country
UK
State
N/A
City
N/A
hi all... you'll forgive me if i pop by every so often to use the forum as my personal sounding board. mum got her walker today. it wasn't really a shock to find out she needed one, i've known her balance to be off quite a while now... but it was sobering to see her actually behind it and using it.

she seemed a lot more confident walking which of course is great, but it does feel like another little defeat.

it's almost a year since i first posted on the forum with my fears of mum's illness. even though i'll be glad to see the back of 2009 i'm scared about the changes 2010 will bring.

thinking of you all fondly and with love. take care out there.

Well if anyone knows how you feel it's me. It is definitely heart-breaking when these milestones occur. I felt the same way when I first saw my dad behind a walker. Sadly he is totally wheelchair-bound now. Nothing seems to conquer his fighting spirit though. His spark is alive and well and I am grateful for every laugh and every hug and every smile.

You and your mum are often in my thoughts. Sending hugs and warm thoughts your way...

you're so sweet thelma... you always reply to my messages to show support! i'm so grateful.

i'm glad your dad is continuing to fight the good fight... proof every day we are descended from warriors!

thinking of you and yours. xo

"we are descended from warriors!" I love that! You totally made my night. Thanks.

I am grateful for you too!

This is what is so great about this forum. It's wonderful that we are able to send each other messages of hope and support from so far away. I hate ALS too and I don't feel like I am so alone with that thanks to you. Big hugs xo

Hi there i know what you mean re another little defeat.

I relented and got a walker a couple of months ago "only to use when it was windy" as i copped a gust one day and i couldnt correct fast enough and i fell, well blew over.

I have now started to use it more and more as i can move faster with it and i havent fallen since with it.

Just another little defeat this condition forces on us.

cheers
Peter

My leg has started acting up as of a couple of weeks ago. No pain but I am limping. I tried using a cane when I went out shopping on Black Friday. It felt strange to have this first visible sign of my problem. The guy at the Apple store brought over a stool for me to sit on, which I appreciated. I know it slightly freaked out my daughter to see me with the cane.

Hal,

From experience , try not to over compensate , thus hurting your hips and other leg.

This was the turning point for me , when I decided to get physio for the aches and pains.

Glen

Hi Hal
I was walking with one stick and then two for a couple of months but I had to put my weight on them and the result was a painful neck and shoulders by evening time.
Friends have bought me a wonderful walker with wheels, brakes, tray, basket and seat and I do not see it as a defeat at all. A major improvement in mobility and relief from the stress pains. I can let it wheel me into the kitchen, sit on the high seat and work at the kitchen counter, and move around quickly to find things I need. Brilliant. Much to be recommended.
Love and more love to all
Irismarie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back