Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
t
City
springfield
Has anyone been on Long Term Disabilty from work for a while? Reason I'm asking is that I've googled LTD and come up with some pretty scary information about insurance companies not paying after a while, or harrassing you and your doctor, or canceling after a year. Something about ERISA and LTD purchased through work as a group policy and the insurance company can do whatever they want? Has anyone heard this or had this happen? I'm worried about this happening, as I'm looking into going out soon on disability from work soon. The last thing I need is to loose my income in a year or sooner. I know I can get SSDI (about 900 a month), but the LTD would be more (about 2000 a month). I do have a Long Term Care Policy also that will pay for in-home care, respite, nursing home, etc also. Is there anything else that I should look into before I get "The" diagnosis? Should I purchase a separate long term disability policy in addition to the one I have through work to help with income? My spouse is disabled and can't work (gets 650 from disability a month), and we have a child at home and I'm our major breadwinner. What can I do to help them after I'm gone? I've got 180K in life insurance through work. How much more would one need to have? Sorry for the long post, we are both worried and would appreciate any advice or information.

I'm interested in knowing about this as well. I have LTD through Unum and it started in Oct'09. So far I've had no problems with them and staff there have been very helpful. But one year sounds scary as I plan to live longer!

Kbt9326: No point in buying any kind of insurance now as you will get hit with pre-existing condition clause.

You might want to look at some past threads see list below. These are at the bottom of this pg for clickable links.
Info like

"Does anyone else have experience with the Private LTD insurance company waiting 2 years to let you know that "Oh, by the way, you owe us several thousand dollars because Social Security paid you more than we knew about! Cough it up in 15 days from the date of this letter or you will no longer receive benefits!" Plus, they are wanting repayment for the month SS Disability was activated, but we didn't receive payment til the next month! I just don't get it!"

Long Term Disability and SS deductions brooksea General Discussion About ALS/MND 13 06-25-2009 05:50 PM
Long Term Disability Insurance Shatzie People With ALS - "PALS" 4 02-22-2008 04:02 PM
Life insurance and long term disability mamaoftwo General Discussion About ALS/MND 14 12-11-2007 04:51 AM
U.S. Employer & Long Term Disability! brooksea ALS/MND Caregiver Support Group 1 06-14-2007 10:23 PM
Short and Long Term Disability ptich General Discussion About ALS/MND 9 04-10-2007 09:25 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back