Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Wa.
City
Puyallup
My father was diagnosed in Sept. with ALS. Since that time, with all the research our family has done it did seem prudent to avoid MSG in the diet. Now I read on the front page of this forum that the guy from John Hopkins who discovered that ALS is caused by an overload of glutamate in your motor neurons, also says that you cannot get this overload from MSG or natural glutamate that you "consume". Have any of you changed your diet? Is that information outdated? My poor dad has had to deal with a huge change in his diet without any MSG. My mom also gives him whatever organic foods that can be found. (I do believe that organic is the way to go with this disease) However, with losing weight being a problem, a diet that can include MSG would be of great help. What do you think?
Hugs,
Blubear

Everything in moderation. Why change your diet now? Enjoy the foods you want. No one knows so why make a change?

We have tried to rule out MSG as much as possible. We live by the 80% good and 20% bad rule.

We have used up the 20% until sometime in 2048. ;)

Its just healthy to eat less chemicals.

Since I'm allergic to MSG, Glen has consumed a limited amount of the stuff over the past 28 years or so. Only changes we've made to his diet are in an effort to increase his fat and calorie intake.

No change in partner's diet. No change in his progression either, he is fairly stable. We just try to eat healthily and enjoy our food. In my opinion, drastic regimes can be unsettling, limiting and unnecessary, especially if unproven. But if your dad feels a sense of control by changing his diet, and that he is doing something positive, than it is worth a shot.

Dani

The only thing that we have done is increase his fat calories. Prior to diagnosed we ate an almost fat free diet. I don't think that we have ever eaten MSG knowingly. Our philosphy in general is all things [ben & jery's ice cream is the exception esp Chubby Hubby] all things in moderation. Don't we all wish that it was some simple thing that we could remove and make it go away...:[

My husband was allergic to MSG. We ate a chinese restaurant one night....ended up in the ER. They thought that Don was having a heart attack....no heart attack, just nasty reaction from the MSG.

Sis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back