Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Mountain View
Hey all, I am doing just about everything I can to slow this damn disease down. Rilutek, I have a cathedar in my chesstgs that I am participating in a study for...I am keeping weight on...I can just feel it moving through my body like wild fire...One thing, I do know it's hard for me to keep my stress level down. Do you guys really think stress plays a big part in this? It's so hard to believe anything I am told anymore. No one really seems to really know how to treat this disease.

Thanks and sorry to be a downer.

Momma

When I get stressed, my cramps and spasticity go into high gear.

Zaphoon

Yes, stress is a killer and will definitely increase progression. Fight to keep it under control.

Agree! Stress seems to really speed things up. My husband is under a lot of stress right now and he is suffering with arm pain, headache, upset stomach and worse speech.

Some stressful situations cannot be helped, so try to avoid what you can.

I agree with everyone else, stress is the worst thing in this disease. If I could say oooommmmm I would take up meditation but for now I just try to zone out if things get too stressful.

stress is my worst problem. its hard not to stress out when everything is so expensive.
my son is my caretaker on weekends and he stress me. he doesn't do it intentionally.

Stress and fatigue... evil twins. I know that if Glen is stressed or fatigued his choking becomes MUCH worse! He took a definite downturn during the time my mom was ill. Seems to have levelled off since her death, but not really regained ground.

Web also tells me quite frequently that he can feel the beast moving around inside his body and destroying it. I can not even imagine the horror of that feeling... Stress in and of itself is not a bad thing. The negative aspect is how the individual perceives the stress and how they deal with it [or not]. I am convinced that how we handle STRESS will be found to be a large component of the disease. We already know that PALS are "HERO'S" and that they are "NICE"! MY "NICE HERO" has never really dealt with stress on any level. He is your classic nonconfrontational, make believe it doesn't exist and PUHLEEASE do NOT talk about it EVER! He always assumes that if anything goes wrong, anything-it is because he is at fault or he did something wrong. He is a perfectionist, always was a hard worker and extremely self critical. Never, ever good enough or did enough. :[ It would never occur to him that someone is just a mean and evil butt or that it is out of his control and simply the situation. Yes, stress -good or bad, sends him in a downward spiral. Any stress, physical or emotional or mental but then, it always has. Maybe the ALS is the end result of all of that stuffed stress-the end result of all of those stress hormones that were/are a tsunami crashing over his body over and over? Zaphoon, meditation may very well be part of the solution! Or at the very least having the foresight to marry a woman who totally believes in pixie dust, crowns and that has a troop of smoking, flying monkey's to unleash on the evil ones! For the most part, I guess that I almost enjoy stress-the challenge of it and the way it allows me to take off my ruby red slippers and put on my combat boots! lol soooo many unanswered questions, so many dots to connect...but of this I am convinced, it is NOT about cigarettes but maybe it is about the black fog that puts us in the shadows... Do any of you take xanax when the stress is out of control? If pot were legal in my state I would be feeding it to Web! I have a small amount of Xanax and use it when he is just toooooo stressed and it really helps him go into the ZONE. I might just look into some audio meditation tapes and plug him in!

Kay, that sounds so much like Glen. We never even had a WILL until his diagnosis... I pushed immediately to get will, power of attorney, living trust, etc taken care of. With the progression of the FTD, I'm so very glad I did. But yeah.. never talk about anything, even when his Dad died last year!

We as a family try to avoid bad news, or any type of negative talk. My father was so stressed over Thanksgiving because he thought that everyone was sitting around thinking it was his last, that his breathing became more labored, and after dinner when the tradition is to go to a movie, he was literally to wiped out. The stress over the fact that he couldn't go made things compound. We all decided to take in the movie on Sunday, and that was the first time I heard him laugh in months. He worries over little things, like the fact that my car has been in and out of the shop for weeks on end, and I am driving my daughters old car. Now he is afraid that her car will give out. He is a big stress mess! Most days I call him, (when I can't see him) but lately I am a bit afraid that something will upset him that I might say. I tell him to relax and calm down, but that's easier said then done. My mom has lorazapam and I will ask her if he will take/get some, but he is stubborn about meds. Even Rilutek, which worries me too. Final answer....YES STRESS IS A HUGE FACTOR!
Hugs,
Blubear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back