Diagnosis
05/2010
Country
FR
State
tarn et garonne
City
valeilles
I live in the countryside pf SW France and it is very hilly. Are wheelchairs safe on hills, please?
Irismarie

If I can get the house wheelchair friendly, all invited for holiday in beauty;-)

I can not answer that question but would love to spend a HOLIDAY enjoying your company and France! hugs, Kay Marie

Yes, they are amazing in their ability to navigate inclines and hills.

Mine seems to have enough power and torque to go anywhere.

Glen

Thanks, guys. Important to know that
SO much to find out!

If you have a steep hill, better to back down. My chair, an Invacare TDX is more stable backwards than front wards. Back wheels are further from center wheels I think. Avoid riding side hill if you can and go down curbs at 90 ' angle if you can.

AL.

oh dear, that starts to get scary;-(

Irismarie, are you planning to get a manual chair or a power chair? All of the above answers refer to a power chair. Have you looked at a scooter as a low cost alternative to a power chair, at least for the early stages of walking disability? You need the ability to stand and transfer and reasonable arm strength to use one. A scooter is fine for quite steep hills as well. I've been using one for about 4 years.

By the way, my daughter lived in Vannes in Bretagne with a French family and attended high school for a year. I visited her there and then drove to Milano where we dropped her off to take a train back to Vannes. We would have passed quite close to Valeilles on the way to Toulouse. My memories of the beautiful countryside, the vineyards, the people, the amazingly good food, the cheeses, the crusty bread and of course the wine are still fresh. Oh yeah, my memories of the French drivers are also still fresh.

John

Irismarie,

If these are the steepest hills you have to deal with, you shouldn't have a problem with a power scooter or chair. You should see some of the hills in Newfoundland and even in the city.

John

Attachments

• Valeilles France.jpg
    Valeilles France.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 561
heehee, John! You just sent a pic of the nudist camp at the top of the hill:)

yes, John, your description of the place is spot on - food and wine - everyone's priorities here...........hot afternoons where silence reigns during the sieste.............shops still close from 12 till 3 pm , even supermarkets. Why hurry? Except, as you say, those French drivers who MUST drive with their nose on your tail..............
Next time you pass, call in.

heehee, John! You just sent a pic of the nudist camp at the top of the hill:)
So THAT'S why the pilot was flying so low.

My impression of France was that you have really got things figured out. Very nice life style. North America is still trying to squeeze every last penny out of life.

I have been thinking about a return visit. When I was there, access for disabilities was the last thing on my mind. Now I need a scooter to get about. How would you rate France for disabled access if I were to rent a wheelchair accessible van?

for a start I would welcome you to come an stay with me. Not yet wheelchair friendly but hopefully by next year - then you can test those hills!
As to generally I DO NOt think France is all that marvellous. zebra crossings ridiculously still have a step up to the pavement at each side, etc. at least in my local town
If you want to book in town my nearest town is Villeneuve-sur-Lot so you could google that and explore.

I have friends in this village who have a gite that is wheelchair friendly, also.

Will try to help anyone who would like a holiday in SW France
Here's hoping for pleasure
Irismarie

That's a very kind offer. Thank you. A trip to France is still a wish-list item. Unfortunately accessible features are now pretty important to me so I'd have to research the accessiblity provisions pretty carefully. I've found the USA has been the most diligent in providing access for the disabled. Don't know the details but they passed a rights of the disabled bill or some such thing in the 1990's that mandates access to the public. I have been going to Arizona to escape the cold for the past few winters and it is a joy compared to here. I can assume, without calling ahead, that a restaurant or store or museum or outdoor facility, no matter how old, is accessible and has adequate parking to handle a wheelchair van. Not so in Newfoundland although new buildings that serve the public are required to be accessible and all the sidewalks and ped xings are ramped.

John

irismarie, here is an open invitation to come and visit us in South Dakota! Just don't come in the WINTER :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back