Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Alexandria
So , if someone had to drag you ass out the door , what would you go see ?

I'm in line for :

Star Trek
Angels & Demons
Terminator Salvation (I made my avatar there)

Glen

My pick: "Tyson"

I've just gotten "Pride of the Yankees" on DVD, a film from the 40s about Lou Gehrig (made after his death). I'm interested in seeing how Hollywood treated ALS as a subject back then. In those days, everyone in the US (and probably Canada too) knew what ALS was, thanks to Gehrig ... and this movie.

Hey Glen,,,yea...put me down for 'Angels & Demons'

Beth....I'll check out the 'Pride of the Yankee's'....how weird is this...when I was a kid my folks and Grandparents had a ton of books on our farm...I read one about Lou Gehrig when I was about 10, can't find it anymore and don't remember the title BUT do remember it made a huge impression on me then...never mind now;)
Rick

I guess if someone is going to drag me out the door, they are going to make watch what they want too. But I would choos Angels and demons if they let me.lol.

Renee

My picks:

Sunshine Cleaning (looks funny and quirky, directed by Christine Jeffs)
The Limits of Control (the new Jim Jarmusch film)
Julia (with Tilda Swinton who I think is brilliant)
Earth (the beautiful HD documentary - the trailer is very moving)
Lymelife (because it features Alec Baldwin, is set in the 70's and Martin Scorsese is the executive producer)

I'd also like to see "Pride of the Yankees." Thanks for mentioning it, Beth!

Ooh, I went to see Sunshine Cleaning.. it is cute, but it didn't really do anything for me. Haha.. I could never be a movie critic, not very insightful!

I think I'll see Angels and Demons at some point also... quite like the look of "Cheri" since I adore Michelle Pfeiffer.

Rick ... I understand perfectly what you mean about that book. I must have seen "Pride" as a very young kid because I think I remember a scene from it, with Gehrig in bed unable to move. Why would I remember that for 60 years ?!?

Also, a horror film I saw as a kid was "The Sprial Staircase" in which a homicidal maniac is persuing a mute girl. In one scene she pauses before a huge mirror, and the lurking murderer looks at her reflection, and in the reflection, her mouth disappears ... (really lousy special effects, even for the 40s) ... and we see into the killer's mind that he knows she can't talk and reveal his identity. That scene gave me nightmares for years. Now ... I can't talk. Maybe I should start avoiding mirrors. Or at least, start staying away from homicidal maniacs. There goes my social life. :lol:

Speechless in L.A.

Glen, I wouldn't mind the new Star Trek movie and will probably go to see it. Our town has one theater so when a movie is showing it's usually only for a couple of days so I'll have to keep watch for it. I wasn't really impressed with the DaVinci Code so I'll probably wait for Angels and Demons on DVD.

Thelma, I knew that being in the movie business you would have some interesting choices. I'll definitely look for those on DVD cause they won't ever show here.

Beth and Rick, I'm going to get Pride of the Yankees. I bought "The Luckiest Man" by Johnathan Eig and enjoyed it although it's more about baseball than anything else. Since we're on the subject of childhood memories I am trying to get a copy of a classic 1950s scifi horror film called "The Incredible Shrinking Man". I saw it on tv when I was about 8 years old and I couldn't sleep for weeks afterward. I don't know if anyone has seen it but it is the story of a man who is exposed to a mysterious cloud and then begins to shrink. He first notices that his shirt is too big (sound familiar?) and as he keeps shrinking he is attacked by his now giant house cat, battles with a spider and eventually shrinks down to where he can't be seen with the naked eye. The special effects were great for when it was made and it was well acted .

Anyway, great thread topic! I do love watching movies:smile:

Werner Herzog's "Encounters at the End of the World", exploring inhabitants and activities in and around McMurdo Station on Antarctica.

Great pick Danijela! I absolutely love Werner Herzog's films. Did you see Grizzly Man? It's amazing.

Barry, I TOTALLY remember seeing "The Incredible Shrinking Man" on TV many many years ago. I especially remember the scene with his cat and the spider of course. It's amazing. I thought of it as just another campy 50's B-movie and now you have given it a whole new meaning. It's really interesting what movies stay with us and what cinematic images remain forever burned in our memories. Now when we look back, they really have new meaning.

I remember when I saw the film North Country in 2005 (the story of women miners who work in deplorable conditions) Frances McDormand's character is diagnosed with ALS and at the time I knew nothing about it at all. The film was okay, nothing spectacular, but I was really shaken and the images of Frances haunted me. I never would have believed it would one day hit so close to home. Now, I know that courage comes only in supply and demand.

Glen, I like the avatar - just wish it was bigger. how did you do it?

I'm looking forward to Robin Hood with Russel Crow. I don't know when its being released though.

.... at home I'm plowing through "The Tudors" series from Showtime, via NetFlix

I just saw the new Star Trek last night and it's very good. Highly recommend it. I doubt anyone will be let down, unless they're a super-duper Trekkie purist.

Fred , I had planned to go today , but I had no energy - I napped instead. Maybe next weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Glen interesting link 8)

I am in the process of watching Body of Lies (on DVD) and enjoying it, if someone's looking for a good one to rent this weekend.

Music Within starring Ron Livingston

We just rented a movie (think it is a 2007 flick) called Music Within. Really really good.

True story of the guy that was instrumental in getting the ADA, America Disibility Assoc. started. Great story and music is so good, wished they had a sound track of the music played throughout the movie, but they don't.

Rent it!

Patty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back