Old 07-28-2016, 01:49 AM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Nijmegen
State: NL
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
henkvrielink is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Nijmegen
State: NL
Diagnosed: 04/2014
henkvrielink is on a distinguished road
Default on vacation with ALS

I live in the Netherlands.
Many good places for a perfect vacation here.
Are there simmilar places in the USA ?
example: can a wheelchair accessable room be booked in every hotel ?
can a daycare nurse be hired ?
Lets start a thread here.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:43 PM #2 (permalink)

City: Fort Wayne
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 11/1985
Diane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really nice
City: Fort Wayne
State: Indiana
Diagnosed: 11/1985
Diane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really niceDiane H is just really nice
Default Re: on vacation with ALS

Over here an accessible hotel room only means there are no stairs and the doorway is wide enough for a standard wheelchair. "Handicapped equipped" means it has equipment for deaf and blind people and grab bars in the bathroom. It doesn't necessarily mean a roll under sink or roll in shower, etc. That works for the typical manual wheelchair user, but when you have a power wheelchair the bathrooms are unlikely to be large enough. And if you need a Hoyer type of lift for transfers, the room may not be big enough! Most hotel beds don't have space for a Hoyer lift to reach under them.

Most hotels and motels are part of a national chain and the rooms can be different even within that chain. In order to have any real assurance that a room will work for you, it is important to call the specific hotel to find out if the room will work for you. They may be able to arrange for a hospital bed and lift for you, but you may have to arrange that yourself. For sanitary resons, bring your own sling.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:49 PM #3 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of

Since we're such a large and diverse country, there are many differences among States and even regions within states. I've found wonderful accommodations in some places and next to nothing in others. When you're traveling the US, it's best to call the hotels near the places you want to see and get specifics. I've seen some with wheel in showers and others with tiny, slippery tubs with a grab bar. Anyone going into that tub would need a grab bar!
Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pit of hot
State: FL
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Pit of hot
State: FL
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold

Also, many hotels let you book an accessible room online but it isnt guaranteed. Make sure you call to verify.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, usa, vacation, wheelchair