Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
I do not want Hijack Ann's thread, so here is a new one. I have gained about 30 lbs since my husbands ALS diagnosis, and losing my waitress job. I love to cook and now add extra butter, cheese cream ect in everything I cook to keep Les's weight up. Lots of candy, chips, ice cream too! I made this dip, so I used it as a sauce for my baked fish and vegetables. Just put the fish, vegies(asparagus, bell peppers, mushrooms)and a quarter cup of dip in a foil covered pie tin in the oven at 350 for about 20 min, and it was great. Spinach Dip Recipe - Quick and Easy Spinach Dip I am doing the 17 day diet as seen on Dr Phil, and they have some receipes I will try out and post the good ones. Did a chicken Vegie soup from the book that was wonderful.

Great thread, Lori! I like the look of that Spinach Dip recipe, and the easy way you put your dinner together is something Phil may well try. Like you, he is very aware as a caregiver of the need to eat the right foods, and to stay healthy. Thank you!

I have found a couple of product that are really good. Naturally Yours makes a fat free sour cream, container is black and white like cow. Also found a great sugar free rasberry vinagrette by Maple Grove farms of Vermont. Both are available at Wal Mart. Since fresh fruit is really costly right now, Wal Mart also has frozen strawberries, rasberries, peaches and mangos that are cheap. I already was buying these for smoothies, now I just put them in my fat free (no taste) plain yogurt. I used the salad dressing to marinate my fish last night.

Here is a delicious Chicken Vegetable soup recipe. 4 Baked chicken Breasts, diced into small chunks (I only used 2) 1 and 1/2 cups chopped cabbage, 1 large carrot chopped, 1 cup Okra sliced, 1 large onion chopped, 2 large celery stalks with leaves chopped, 1-15oz can of crushed tomatoes, 1-14oz can fat free chicken broth, 1&1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper. Place all ingredients, except chicken, in a large pan and simmer for one hour, or until vegetables are soft. Add chicken, and heat thoroughly. This makes 4 servings for my diet, which is a lot! I like more broth, so on the second batch I made, I doubled the chicken broth and tomatoes. I also added cauliflower the second time. You could also add potatoes or just about any vegetable you like. I am not a big okra fan, but it was really good in the soup!

It sounds tasty as well as easy to prepare, Lori. I like all your ideas, and have asked my Walmart shopper to check there for me. Thanks much! And, I wanted to add, serving bread with the soup would give others a carb while the soup stays "pure".

I love salty crispy spicy snacks(Hot Cheetos!) No good on my diet. I bought "Edamame" which are soybeans. You can get them in the shell, or already shelled in the frozen vegetable section. I got the shelled variety, put in a cooking dish in the oven at 375, topped with salt and a little buffalo wing sauce. Supposed to heat up for 15 minutes. Did it this way the first time, and they were good. The next time, I left them in for almost an hour,(Got busy with something else and forgot!) and they were GREAT! Crunchy and kind of like the "old maid" uncooked popcorn kernels. 1/2 cup has 25 calories, 3 g fat, 5 g carbohydrates, and 8 g protein.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back