Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Toronto
State: Ontario
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Momofone is on a distinguished road
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
Momofone is on a distinguished road
Default Genetic Testing

Hi there,
My family has been burdened with C9 - weíve lost 6 amazing people in 2 generations, so far, including my mom, Godfather, and Gramma. Iíve struggled with anxiety over this disease for over a decade now. The anxiety presents itself in the form of symptoms and I trick myself into believing that I have ALS. Iím aware of this now, and know so much about the symptoms of ALS, but with each ďepisodeĒ of anxiety, new and different symptoms presents, showing how powerful anxiety truly is.

Iím leaning towards genetic testing at this point. I feel the uncertainty of it all is wearing on me. How do I know when the time is right?
I just got back from speaking with a counsellor who thinks knowing will empower me. That knowledge is power. Iím just really torn and know I have to make this decision on my own, but value your input too.
Thoughts? What would you/have you done in my situation?
Momofone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:22 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Genetic Testing

I tested when asymptomatic. I waited 6 months after c9 was confirmed as our mutation even though i always intended to test.

You need to be super sure. Once you find out you can’t take it back.

I heard one counselor suggest living a week or 2 pretending you got a positive result and then switch and pretend it was negative

Whatever your result you will have feelings to deal with. People who are negative often struggle with survivor guilt.

It is true that some people say knowledge is power. I strongly suspected I was positive and at the time I tested there were not research opportunities if you did not have a positive test. I very much wanted to participate in research. Now you can do so and not know your status.

Most of the people I know who tested are glad they did but a few bitterly regret it.

I do think that you need to be able to approach the test fairly positively to avoid regret- from a position of strength rather than fear.

No one wants to be positive but if you are already afraid and anxious with every twitch it will make it worse. On the other hand sometimes knowing helps you plan long term and live more fully.

You need to be honest with yourself as to whether it will make your life better or worse

Are you participating in gen fi or any other study?
Nikki J is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
MarieLaure (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM #3 (permalink)

City: mortcerf
State: Ile de France
Diagnosed: 10/2015
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
MarieLaure is a jewel in the roughMarieLaure is a jewel in the roughMarieLaure is a jewel in the roughMarieLaure is a jewel in the rough

City: mortcerf
State: Ile de France
Diagnosed: 10/2015
Interest: I am a family member of someone with ALS/MND.
MarieLaure is a jewel in the roughMarieLaure is a jewel in the roughMarieLaure is a jewel in the roughMarieLaure is a jewel in the rough

Your decision might also depend on whether you have children or think of starting a family.
It seems worth discussing with loved ones.
In any case the best decision for you is the one you make
MarieLaure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold
City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold

If there is still nothing they can do about it, why know?
Vincent
Vincent is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

C9orf72 has a cliinical trial. They need biomarkers for an asymptomatic trial once they have something that works. There are studies where you do not have to know but the known carriers are able to do more

If family planning is an issue they can do embryo selection

Some people do better knowing.
Nikki J is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM #6 (permalink)

City: Hilton Head Island
State: South Carolina
Diagnosed: 09/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Ken15 is on a distinguished road
City: Hilton Head Island
State: South Carolina
Diagnosed: 09/2017
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Ken15 is on a distinguished road

My PALS is C9. We have 4 adult children and 7 grandchildren.

All of the children (ages 35-41) are asymptomatic and have had blood drawn for biomarker study at the Mayo Clinic. One has had spinal fluid drawn and 2 others plan to; all with the understanding that they will not be told if they have the mutation or not.

Both the MC and Johns Hopkins have offered free genetic counseling and testing. I have strongly advised them to get the genetic counseling before making a decision on testing.

One other thing to consider is insurance. A federal law - GINA - protects against genetic discrimination for health insurance. However, no such protection exists for life, disability and long-term care insurance. Thus, if you do get tested and test positive, you might not qualify for these latter insurances. If you plan on taking any of these policies in the future, think very carefully about getting tested.

Good luck; it definitely is a personal decision.

Ken
Ken15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Thanks from
ShiftKicker (Yesterday)
Old Today, 04:24 AM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Ken, you raise some important issues. For what it's worth, I wouldn't use insurance eligibility as a reason to know or not know, as even the act of testing, through billing, payment, chart notes, etc. could find its way into the underwriting database. So could discussing testing, e.g. with a genetic counselor or doc. So could the data on your affected family members.

I worked in the insurance industry, so this is just realism. They really can reject you for any reason within the offer terms.

My tip for the day is, if you get a new job, join an association with benefits, etc. sign up for any non-underwritten coverage you're interested in as soon as you join because if you pass it up during your first opportunity, once it becomes underwritten coverage, you may not have another chance.

Best,
Laurie
lgelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
als, anxiety, back, family, genetic, genetic testing, symptoms, symptoms of als, testing

« Parent with C9 ALS | - »