New ALS gene, NEK1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New fALS gene, NEK1

Interesting It sounds as if it is something that is more a cofactor than a separate genetic cause in FALS? That is, I may have it along with my c9 It also sounds like it might be one of the things that creates vulnerability in SALS. I am sure we will be hearing a lot more about it
Thanks Greg

The media is portraying as a breakthrough for finding a cure for all of ALS. But this gene is only related to familial ALS, not sporadic which is the majority of cases of ALS

I do not think that is so MB. The reports have been a little garbled but after digging around it sounds as if this is something that is found in many PALS. It seems like something that might coexist with a more causative defect in FALS ( like I have c9 but maybe this too) but also is found in some SALS and might be one of the things that make a non FALS person susceptible given the right ( or wrong) trigger. I am hoping that clearer explanations will follow

Of course any progress is cause for celebration, just wish they didn't make us dig for the actual data. Here's an interesting opinion piece:

Forbes Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back