Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Pennsylvania
City
Pittsburgh
I hate to be the worry wart on here. My dad was diagnosed with ALS December 2013; and as far as we know, there is no history of ALS in our family; and none of my dad's siblings have ALS.

I'm thinking FALS must start somewhere; so I'm wondering if any of you have seen a case of seemingly sporadic ALS turn into FALS. This would obviously be difficult without knowing a lot of your family history, but I'm curious.

I've been noticing a lot of twitching over the past few weeks in localized spots on my left leg and arm; and my left arm has generally been tired. Obviously I know the odds are very slim if in fact it is sporadic ALS.. and that there are multiple common explanations of muscle twitching. I'm not usually one to worry about things like this but like I said, I'm curious.

Thanks for your help.

Ken

You are right that occasionally what is believed to be SALS turns out to have been FALS. Often it is because of incomplete family history or early deaths due to other causes.
If you have no family history of other neurodegenerative diseases the odds are incredibly in your favor. Also, generally the genetic forms of ALS tend to strike at around the same age or a little younger. You are obviously a generation removed from your father's age of onset.
That said you could ask your dad to be tested for the known genetic defects which are about 75 percent of FALS now. As he has a diagnosis there is a decent chance that he would be covered by insurance but check first. It could give you some peace of mind. In the meantime please see your physician.
It is also really common for those close to a PALS whether blood relative or not to experience twitches and other symptoms as I am sure you know

Ken, I think that you, as a recent college grad, are way too young to be worried about ALS. Don't sweat the twitching; it could mean nothing at all.

However, if you are concerned that, in 20 years, you might be subject to FALS, then it might be a good idea to have your father tested for genetic causes of ALS. This testing is expensive, though.

If you're fairly certain no other relatives have died of ALS, then I wouldn't worry about it, but that's me.

You have to wonder if it matters. Would you lead life differently if you were going to die in 20 years or 60 years? From what I've learned about life while listening to PALS, I've discovered the answer is YES! The only way to live is to live for today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back