Diagnosis
02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
Hi All, I just heard about this on CBC radio. Maybe someone in the Toronto area would be interested in seeing it.

http://www.als.ca/tuesdays.aspx

Barry

I read the book It was wonderful
pat.

I read it too and really enjoyed it even though the subject is a little too close to home. But I guess that's probably the reason why I read it. I hope that this play doesn't try to hide the fact that Morrie has ALS or pass it off as some unknown neurological ailment. We really do need more people to know what we are dealing with and that it has a name.

I wish that it was a little closer to me, I would go!

I read it too, when Mom was first diagnosed with ALS.. Great book..thinking to myself.. should pick it up again, and have another read..

Hal Linden is being interviewed this morning on the CBC radio show Q about his part in "Tuesday's with Morrie". It is probably over for most of you in time zones east of me and isn't available to most of you in the US off the air but it will be available at cbc.ca/radio and may be available as a download. If it is downloadable I'll try to post a link.

Barry

I saw the play version of "Tuesdays with Morrie" over a year or so ago (got a couple of free tickets in exchange for a piano tuning) and had no idea what ALS was about. A few weeks later I was at a local high school and saw a girl from the sophomore class with ALS being helped by a friend of the family. It still didn't register with me.

I had a tuning appointment a few weeks later and the lady I was working for had a copy of the book, "Tuesdays With Morrie" on her bookshelf. Ha, a few months later I was examined by a neurologist who suspected I have PLS. Figure the odds...

Zaphoon

I purchased the book from Audible. It was narrated very nicely by the author. An advantage to getting an audible version over the book, is at the end of the book, there is an actual recording from one of their sessions. You can hear Morrie speaking and that really brings it all home.

My friend is at a point in this disease where he can barely walk with his walker, his feet are freezing (and feel icy to my touch), he's discouraged and I'm trying to keep him "up". I don't know if he's read tuesdays with morrie but I've read it quite a few times and am wondering if I should offer it to him (will it help or hurt?)

i read the book and found it very amazing .how this man held onto his positive approach to life and the courage to live witin it .it was sad but it opened my eyes up on so many different levels .yes it was a book of pain but it was more of a book of love frienship peace and gratefulness .i cant answer your guestion about your friend but i read it one month after being diagnosed .its a book of courage and life love you all jeff

I agree with Jeff, I don't know your friend either but I see the book as more of a story of friendship and love than anything else. I read it a few months after I was diagnosed and found it to be very uplifting and would recommend it to anyone.

On a related note the play is being done at a dinner theatre in Edmonton in July with Jamie Farr (Klinger from Mash) playing Morrie. I thought that it was an interesting choice of play for a dinner theater. I would go but tickets are $55 and I can't eat the food!

Barry, I wonder if they'd perhaps welcome you as a guest... What an impact it might make to have a "real example" present. Of course, you may not want that much attention, which I'd find understandable. :idea::-? It is an interesting thought... I thought the book very good, as well. A friend through the internet from before my diagnosed wrote to me about reading that book aloud to a student right before I told her about my own "resolution" after all that wait for a diagnosis. It impacted her greatly. That led me to read it myself. So neat that the play is being done in Edmonton! (good old "Klinger"!)

Barry,
I am sure they would love to have you as a guest. Have Beth call and check that out. You are such a wonderful PALS, that I would love you to put a face for us to everyone at the dinner theatre. That is a pretty big actor for dinner theatre, he will probably do a a great job at the part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back