Old 09-06-2014, 08:01 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Salmon Arm
State: B.C.
Diagnosed: 07/2012
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
zoohouse is on a very distinguished road
Default Have a new baby!

A few have noticed that I haven't been on the forum lately, and that is because there has been a new addition to our family. 1 Ĺ years ago our dog Kona had to be put down, and I felt that there was no way we could have another one given Tim's ALS. One month ago a neighbour brought over a teacup poodle something cross, and she was so sweet, sitting quietly in his lap. Up until this time Tim was a big-dog person and wouldn't talk about it, but we were bitten by the love bug. I got on line and looked up small dogs that don't bark, shed and required less exercise, and the Havanese came up on every count. Then I started checking out breeders, and found one 45 min. away, but alas all 13 puppies were already spoken for, and we could go on a waiting list. BUT, there was one little black one that had been returned because he "whined" too much. We had our hearts set on a sable, but decided to go to his kennel and check it out. Well, I bet you guessed it, we came home with the little black "reject", and our lives became very busy. He does not whine too much, but he does have us wrapped around his little bear paws. His name is Django, short for his official name of Mr. Bo Django, and he is as smart as a whip.

Other news is that the new neighbours' cat managed to get onto our deck, 12' up with no stairs, and killed my little Skittle (yellow canary). I had gone over 5 days earlier and told them that I had chased him off our deck, and that I had 2 birds there. He obviously is a smart cat as he went after the canary and not the parrot, or the story might have been different. The neighbours came over with the canary, and committed to replacing him and the broken cage. My son and his wife came and visited from Calgary and found a beautiful rusty coloured canary that sings every bit as well as Skittles, only louder, and more constant. They said that before they went into the store to get him they prayed that there was a red canary that sang really well. I told them that maybe they prayed a little too hard, but he really is a wonderful singer. He is quite friendly and I think he may even hand-trained.

We have had a lot of visitors, and our garden has been taking some time as well. Tim is doing well, except when the puppy accidentally pulls his ventilator goose neck out of his reach.
Attached Thumbnails
Have a new baby!-img_0941.jpg   Have a new baby!-img_0976.jpg  
Old 09-06-2014, 08:24 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: aaaa
State: hmm
Diagnosed: 03/2012
Interest: I am a friend of someone with ALS/MND.
vickim is on a very distinguished roadvickim is on a very distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: aaaa
State: hmm
Diagnosed: 03/2012
Interest: I am a friend of someone with ALS/MND.
vickim is on a very distinguished roadvickim is on a very distinguished road
Default Re: Have a new baby!

Aww what a cute baby. Congrats. I always look at the pet finder site and see a dog I think I could love but I am afraid I would not be able to take care of it the way I think it should be. I miss my dogs.

Enjoy!
Old 09-07-2014, 04:07 AM #3 (permalink)

City: Gilbert
State: AZ
Diagnosed: 02/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
krnNdug is on a distinguished road
City: Gilbert
Diagnosed: 02/2014
krnNdug is on a distinguished road

Congrats! So very cute! And a very cute couple. Will he need much grooming? The pup I mean

We were talking about getting another dog last fall. Glad we waited since I got my Dx in Feb. Love our big galunck so much and glad I can still wheel him to the dog park for some exercise. They are such great family members.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:16 AM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back Paulette, lovely photos
Old 09-07-2014, 10:07 AM #5 (permalink)

City: Tucson
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud of
City: Tucson
Diagnosed: 12/2013
azgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud ofazgirl has much to be proud of

Nothing better than a warm pup on your lap. Good choice!
Old 09-07-2014, 02:53 PM #6 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: SMALL TOWN IN
State: ILLINOIS
skipper66 is on a very distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: SMALL TOWN IN
State: ILLINOIS
skipper66 is on a very distinguished road

What a cute little puppy! That was a great decision to get one. My family is going to get a new one eventually. I'm just waiting for the right time and the right one to come along and tug at my heart. The problem is with dogs is that they all tug at my heart and I can't have hundred of them. lol
Old 09-07-2014, 03:40 PM #7 (permalink)

The Havanese's hair can grow to 6-8" and does require combing or they get matted. I have trimmed him once already and plan on keeping his fur about 1-2" long, which is called a puppy cut. Most would bring them to a groomer every 6 weeks for a clip, but I am pretty handy with scissors and a clipper. He is very good when he gets a bath, and loves being brushed. since he is so small, when I sit down to watch TV I brush him in my lap. It is funny that he gets really upset when I leave the room, but will not sit on my lap if Tim is near. He loves to curl up on his feet and sleep, so much for me having something to cuddle, but I do enjoy grooming him. He is totally friendly, doesn't bark much except when I am getting his food, and is non-shedding which I love.

Max it is partially your fault with all your dog pictures. I have always had a dog all my life, so it was inevitable, but at least this one can be exercised by throwing a ball around the house. He also swims like a fish, jumped right into my sisters pool, and swam to one of our friends that was in it.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:00 PM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pinehurst
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 08/2013
MaxEidswick is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member

>Well, I bet you guessed it, we came home with the little black "reject", and our lives became very busy. He does not whine too much, but he does have us wrapped around his little bear paws. His name is Django, short for his official name of Mr. Bo Django, and he is as smart as a whip.

CONGRATS!

>Max it is partially your fault with all your dog pictures.

I am sure Django will bring you much love and joy. I recommend 10 shot/day, keep 1-2 the do a monthly pdf -- make sure you get all of Django in the shot as it hurts when you cut off a tail or foot

the one of the two in the picture is when we lived in CH -- you can see Jenny on my back ...
Attached Thumbnails
Have a new baby!-dsc_9801.jpg   Have a new baby!-dsc_9807.jpg   Have a new baby!-dsc_9804.jpg   Have a new baby!-dsc_9797-2.jpg   Have a new baby!-dsc_9796.jpg  

Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 PM #9 (permalink)

City: Central
State: TX
Diagnosed: 07/2014
pecas is on a distinguished road
City: Central
State: TX
Diagnosed: 07/2014
pecas is on a distinguished road

We've always been big dog people, too. We just got a chihuahua, to go with our labrador, in February and my husband has had to admit that he loves him tremendously. It's just a totally different energy. And they're great together, 6 lbs and 60 lbs.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:48 PM #10 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

>We've always been big dog people, too

like us and our Irish -- we took in Boots when she needed a foster home ... now both Boots and Beanie crawl under the covers!
Old 09-07-2014, 05:27 PM #11 (permalink)

I am jealous, tried to get Django to sleep with me as I crave the warm body, but he turns his feet to me and pushes, crawls to the end of the bed and whines while looking at his kennel. I think I am to warm for him, and Tim is always on the cooler side as he can't move. Oh well, maybe when he is older. I will try and get more shots, but his eyes do show up at all because they are black as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
als, exercise, family, love, story, ventilator