Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Fredonia
I thought you all might like to see the article that our local paper published last Sunday to help us publicize the ALS Walk in Buffalo. "Team Tom" has raised almost $4,000 so far with donations still coming in for Saturday's walk. My step-daughter and daughter-in-law are busy tie-dyeing team t-shirts and we are very excited and ready to roll. (Especially Tom! <g>) Our son got married last Saturday so it's been a crazy few weeks. The good news is, Tom is feeling much better since his two emergency room visits so he plans to come with us. --Diane

The spirit endures - ObserverToday.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Dunkirk | The Observer

Great article, Diane. I'm glad Tom is feeling better.

I am a writer for local magazine. I do restaurant reviews which is not quite as glamorous as it sounds. But they are doing an article in the October issue of Richmond magazine about our walk the end of October. My dear friend and financial planner has started a team and we hope to raise some serious cash for research. I'm glad to see the coverage up there. Putting a face on this disease in any form I think is very helpful.

Go for it! Don't be afraid to ask for $$$. It's a hard thing to do, but once those contributions start coming in, you will probably have to raise your goal. I had to raise mine twice (I started at $200) and then I just gave up. Team Tom raised almost $6,000 for the Upstate NY Chapter of the ALS Association and the donations are still coming in. I put it out on our webpage (from Lotsa Helping Hands), and sent tons of emails. The article in the local paper was due to me writing to the reporter and asking her to publicize our efforts. My walking group also held a sale of "gently used" clothing and gift items during our local farmers' market and that alone raised $1,200 in sales and donations. Good luck! -Diane

After my April Dx - my young niece started a team for the June 16 ALS walk -

I wanted to help her so I dumped my email address book and sent a message out (with donation link) - amazingly within two weeks $9800. was collected. (We had been hoping for $500. - then upped it to $2,000 as pledges rolled in.)

People do want to help! I am so proud of and grateful for our friends and relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back