Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
US
State
California
City
Anaheim
Just got home from the LA Marathon. I was honored to represent the Orange County Chapter of the ALS Association in the event. A very special thank you to all who braved the cold, wind, and heavy rain to push me through the full 26.2 mile course! As with my struggle with ALS, I can't do it alone, and it's only due to the wonderful support of friends and family that I can make it to the finish line!

Wow!

You are certainly one of our heroes. Thanks for representing the community.

Good for you! What a great way to raise awareness, and what wonderful friends and family you obviously have!

Well I certainly am not a hero. I sat in the chair. The heroes pushed me.

At first it was a very awkward feeling to have people from the sidelines cheering for me. Then I realized they are cheering for the cause, and I gladly waved back to acknowledge them, which only made them cheer louder. What a rush it was.

I walked the last 50 feet. The roar from the crowd as I stood up was amazing. I'm glad I was so busy with what I was trying to do or the thought of it would have brought me to tears. My son grabbed hold of me and kept me from falling.

Tom

Fundraisers like that are a wonderful way to raise awareness os ALS!

For the past two years, Hal and I have organized a fundraiser with MDA ALS division, supported by the Santa Barbara International Marathon. The Santa Barbara International Marathon website has a section they created about Hal and his ALS story: Fight for a Cure for ALS: A Marathoners Story.
Although the money we have raised (about 16 thousand dollars over two years) does not go far when it comes to research, the fundraiser itself really has helped raise awareness of ALS in our community.

Tom,
I am cheerig along..Thank you for the smile, what an amazing story. Proud to call you a friend..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back