Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
AZ
City
sedona
hi! guys

well after almost 1 year of constant fasciculations i finally had an EMG...i have been to

two neuro's who say the report is as good as normal, although it reads abnormal

findings...but the docs say as long as there are no fibrillations/PSW as well as no clinical

weakness i dont have to worry about anything...and they both say its vitamin

defficiency .I am low in vitamin D3.

WELL THE REPORT IS AS FOLLOWS
---------------------------------------------------------------------

EMG done in right upper and bilateral limbs

EMG done in right vastus lateralis,anterior tibialis,first dorsal interosseeus,deltoid and left vastus lateralis.

wider duration,higher in amplitude with normal IP

no spontaneous activity seen

Impression - Abnormal study suggestive of neurogenic changes. Correlate clinically.

---------------------------------------------------------
EMG CHART-

deltoid(R) ----AMP(mV)- 8-9------PHASES- ^ -------IP-normal

first dorsal interosseous(R)----AMP(mV) 5-6-----PHASES- ^ ----IP- normal

tibialis anterior(R)----AMP(mV) 5-6-----PHASES - ^ ------IP- normal

vastus laT (R)----AMP(mV) 5-6------PHASES- ^ -------IP- normal

vastus lat (L)----AMP(mV) 7-8-----PHASES- ^ -------IP- normal

----------------------------------------------------------

any clue as to what this report is all about !

well all i can tell u is that your EMG findings are exactly similar to myne....and in my case it was my thyroid(subclinical hypothyroidism), I dont know much about vitamin D3 defficiency causing fasciculations...you might wanna go for blood work regarding your thyroid and B12 if you havent done it already.

hi Hovering,

I see that Wright is back on the forum and he is an expert on the EMG. perhaps you can send him a private message and he can interpret these results. it seems odd to me that the neurologists are saying the report is as good as normal, when there are abnormal findings. you should definitely seek greater clarification on what that means.

by the way, I am deficient in vitamin D too and on a high dose right now and it is not curing my unexplained muscle weakness, fatigue, pain, etc. that I have had for 8 months or so now. the twitching seems to have fizzled out a lot, but then it always seems to come back after time.

anyway,

good luck--

Sandra

What you have posted is rather vague but from what I can see, there is nothing that is alarming. There is no active denervation and only some possible reinnervation (again, the results you posted and your wording are not very clear). The reinnervation could have happened 6 months ago or 6 years ago and means absolutely nothing in the absence of other pathophysiological findings. I'm also going to assume that your clinical evaluation was normal. Your neuro's aren't concerned because there is nothing that warrants concern from what you have shared. Take care.

hi! guys...thanks lot for all your replies.

Wright thanks for the input , well as far as my report goes it is exactly the way i have presented it...nothing more and nothing less.These are the exact words printed on the first page of my report. Then the EMG chart followed with various pages of warried zig zag lines of EMG signals...and as for the clinical it was absolutely normal.

Sandra you talk about being on a high dose of Vitamin D3...may i know how much have u been taking...i have been getting shots of 600000 IU every week....and i guess it is too early to say if it has helped or not.

Millinero i have had all sorts of blood work done including B12 and my thyroid profile . Everything else with me is fine the only thing they could find was my low Vitamin D3. when you say about your report being similar can you elaborate on it.

thanks again guys and take care.

Hi Hovering, well I am only on 1400 IU of D a day-- maybe it's not enough? I am supposed to go back to the primary care doc and get it tested again since it's been a month. if it hasn't gone up, then I think maybe the next step is the shots.

Sandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back