Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
fulton
I hate to bother all of the wonderful people on this website, but I have some more questions....

First, I am a 20 yr. old male, junior in college...

About a week or so ago, I started to notice some twitching in my body that seemed to never stop. About yesterday or so, the twitches seem to have slowed down considerably. Maybe it was because I got away from school, because my brother's wedding was today...anyway. I have had some twitching in both of my forearms, but left more predominantly. Thursday night, twitching was predominantly in my left leg, almost directly behind my knee, with no noticeable twitching in my forearm. I have had a weird feeling in my arm since Wednesday, I believe. I can't describe if it is a weak feeling or not, it's kind of a cross between a fatigued and slight cramp feeling in my left forearm. I am really scared that this is ALS (I know I shouldn't think it is, but I can't help it). However, I have had a similar feeling in my right arm, but it is milder. Also, when I clench my left hand to make a fist, my left forearm begins to hurt. I do not think I have lost any grip strength, for I can still open up bottles with both hands and it isn't hard to open or anything...I have also noticed that my left hand is a little shaky at times...Also, it feels good to stretch both of my arms, maybe they are just tight...
On thursday, I had a similar feeling in my left calf muscle, but it has since gone away (and also I ran in the cold without stretching on Tuesday, and I am not used to running on top of that). Also, I seemed to not have noticed my arm feeling as much during the calf incident...
Back to my arm, I freaked out and have measured both of my forearms with a tape measure...and both are the same size...Also, I helped decorate for my brother's wedding earlier today and helped move stuff in and everything like that, and I did not seem to have lost any strength. I can also still drink with my left hand, brush my teeth, type on the computer, etc. Also, I didn't have this "weakness" until after I started to have the twitches...
Also, I have been to my doctor recently, and I have been put on medication for stomach ulcers, and I am under a lot of stress from school work and have had little sleep in the past few weeks or so because I have been excessively worrying about my medical issues. First, i was worried about my stomach problem, and I recently got over my fear that I had tetanus about a week or so ago after I received a small cut while at a haunted house. And now I am worried that I have ALS after all of my muscle twitches. I have an Upper-GI scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving, so I am anxiously awaiting that to fully 100% determine that I do have a stomach ulcer. I have been getting 2-3 papers weekly from school and have a stressful work study job that I am dropping next semester...I feel like I suffer from an anxiety issue that I have not been diagnosed with...I really want to see my doctor about this, but I will not be able to until Christmas break because of all of my schoolwork and finals quickly approaching, so that is why I am getting worried...

My questions are: Does this sound like ALS?
Do effects of ALS happen that quickly?
Does twitching before "weakness" indicate ALS?
Can all the stress and everything like that make stuff like this happen to me?
Can my arm get fatigued after doing many strength tests?
Could my ulcer medication, ranitidine, cause these twitches and stuff? These twitches did not seem to start until after I started my medication...I also read the side effects and everything and muscle twitches, etc. were not on there...

Thank you all for listening to my worries, even though you are in a worse position than what I am in, I am just really really worried and scared right now because I am pretty happy with my life right now and have so much to look forward to...I'm just really really scared that it will be taken away from me...Any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated, as I said I am really frightened right now...and once again, thank you for listening to me.

Still have twitching: left & right thighs & just above L & R knees occasionally, L calf & R calf occasionally, L & R forearm occasionally, R Shoulder

O dang it...forgot to add one other thing...I can also feel and see my twitches happen...and of course when I want to show someone, it doesn't want to do it as much or not at all...and some of the twitches have been big and have moved some of my limbs. Others have been smaller but I can still feel them happen...thanks again for helping me out...

Why are you so anxious to know if it's or it's not ALS. My reply might be too blunt, but there is nothing you can do if it's ALS. I would say check with doc and stop worrying about twitches. In my case I only noticed after my doc asked me about them.

I am just really really worried and scared right now because I am pretty happy with my life right now and have so much to look forward to...I'm just really really scared that it will be taken away from me

So did all of us here with confirmed als diagnosed. I was on my way to start my own tech venture when this happened. But ALS hasn't stopped us from living a happy life. It's the way you look at life that matters. Since you are just 20, I don't know what would be taken away from you. If you have a girlfriend and she leaves you because of this, then also don't worry abt it as there are folks here who got divorced/dumped because they had als. But they got over it. The more you worry the more worried you will get because possibilities are infinite. So take my advice, just enjoy your life.

Oh dear, the detail, the length of your message and stress you mention all point more towards anxiety rather than ALS. Obsessing about twitching which in many, many cases is uterly meaningless, does not help. I suggest reducing the amount of stress, refocusing on some tengible life issue and having a chat with your doctor about your concerns. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back