Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
fulton
Hi, I am a 20 year old male, and I have recently been experiencing muscle twitching throughout my body. It occurs in the left arm and right leg mostly and at a few other spots as well. I believe it only happens when I am at rest...but I am not for sure. It has been going on for just a few days now...I believe I have some anxiety issues even though I have not been diagnosed or anything. I recently went to my doctor because of some stomach issues and found out I have a stomach ulcer and have been on my medication, ranitidine. I do not know if that is causing it or not. I am also awaiting my upper GI later in November, so I am worrying about that. I also have to say that I am a bit of a worry wart. I am also a junior in college, so that means I have a lot of stress, which is not a lie, I do have a lot of stress. I also do not sleep too good either. I also freak out about small things with my health, like last week I thought that I had tetanus but did not. Now, of course, I am really really worried that I have a severe condition like MS or ALS. I haven't really noticed any muscle weakness or anything, and I am afraid that once I feel like I do, my mind will take over and make me feel like I actually do have muscle weakness...I have been looking around and many sites have said that twitching at more places than one on your body is not a sign of ALS, but is actually a sign of BFS...Can a combo of stress, anxiety, and little sleep lead to muscle twitching like this? I just noticed that my left arm feels kind of weird...but as I said above it is probably in my head and I wouldn't think that symptoms would progress that quickly...and it seems that now the twitching has stopped...Any help on this would be great because I am starting to get really scared and worried...Thanks!

Also, I have read symptoms and everything across the internet...and of course I feel like I have ALS...I really excessively worry about this stuff, and I know it isn't good for me...I have one quick question: What does muscle atrophy feel like? Because all of the sites that I have visited never really described what it actually felt like...Does my arm sound like it is developing it? Thanks!

Beware of self diagnosis

I would not dare to tell you that you have ANY disease, even BFS. We do not give diagnosis on the Forum, because we are not Doctors and have not tested you. If anything you seem to be excessive in the fear of some disease department. It took over a year before I was diagnosed with ALS, and over 6 months before any muscle atrophy set in. Do not jump to any conclusions just because you read about some disease and think, oh my that must be what I have.
For peace of mind go to a Doctor who is familiar with Motor Neuron diseases.
Please try to calm your mind down and relax. You may not have anything major going on, but find a Doctor to tell you.

Re: Beware of self diagnosis

SJ ... muscle atrophy does not "feel like" anything. It happens long, long after weakness has developed, and ALS weakness is unmistakable. It also is not a sensation, but an actual inability to perform normal, everyday things.

Is there a health clinic at your school? Why not check them out, and let a professional put your mind at rest. You have enough on your plate with school, sleeplessness, etc.

Winter vacation will be here soon. Hang on.

Thank you all for your help...You have really calmed me down a lot, and I am not trying to offend any of the sufferers in these forums, I just get really scared about things sometimes and excessively worry. I will check out my doctor once again when I am able to get a break from school, it just seems so non-stop sometimes. Once again, thank you, and you are all in my prayers.

Can you elaborate on ALS weakness being "unmistakable"?

I'll try to elaborate. This is just how it's been for me.

If you try to pick up a kettle full of water, which you've picked up every day for the last 10 years, and you can't lift it, that's ALS weakness. You don't feel any different than you did the day before, you don't feel weak, you don't feel trembly, but you just can't pick it up. It is suddenly too heavy for your hand and arm. It takes two hands. And from then on, you have to only fill it half full. Then a quarter full. etc.

This would apply any normal, everyday activity. You can't pick up a tool you use all the time. It's not a sensation, it's an actual muscle weakness. The inability to do a normal thing because for some reason (ALS) you do not have the strength.

Being a big strong guy for most of my adult life, I never had problems with weakness like I do now.

Zip lock bags - most people curse getting them closed - I curse opening them

Twist off tops - bottled water , gatorade etc - I have to ask someone else now

Being on the floor for whatever reason and then you dont have the strength to get back up.

These are examples of ALS weakness. You do not feel it , its just happens, and never gets any better.

Internet diagnosis is probably the worst thing you can do. I only see stress related symptoms in your description.

Relax , put the effort you are using to find something wrong with yourself , back into your school work.

Glen

You know, some things, like opening packets, everyone has trouble with from time to time, but then it gradually gets to where almost no packets can be opened. The tea kettle is a good example too. Just yesterday I had a surprise. I keep two scrub type brushes by the sink; one has a short handle, the other is a dobie type. Recently I've been using the handle one. Well, to be more accurate, recently I've not used either much, but when I did, it was the handle one. Yesterday, I snatched up the dobie because I thought it would give me better leverage, and I could not grasp it tight enough to use. I could hold onto it, but couldn't scrub with it. It was a real WTF moment.

Those are really excellent descriptions of weakness. It's great for people like me who are confused and waiting for a first neuro appointment. I've been on here reading primarily for 10 weeks of increasingly disconcerting bulbar symptoms, but I've had problems with all 4 limbs at the same time.

It's weird; I can do all the same weights/reps in the gym as I could 10 weeks ago, but I've been dropping things with both hand, stumbling with both feet, cramping and twitching in both calves and have seen deteriorating handwriting. I also feel like someone beat the soles of both feet with a hockey stick (I'm Canadian :)) and awake every morning with my fingers and toes so cramped, I have to move them for a minute to get feeling/movement back.

So gym strength appears normal, but I have those issues with all limbs. Thoughts?

Rhythman (and the original poster),

Stop diagnosing yourself. You don't have the knowledge or the skills to do it. Every time you zero in on another "symptom" favoring ALS, you make it more difficult for your doctors to diagnose you properly. Why? Because you are coloring the information you are giving your doctors with your preconceived notions.

The examples of ALS-caused weakness given by Beth, Glen, and Rose above are how all ALS patients experience weakness. One day, you can do something -- the next day you can't. Sometimes, it's a little thing and barely noticeable -- easily put off to arthritis or old age or a bad night's sleep. Sometimes, it's a big thing and you have no choice but to call the doctor. It doesn't come and go, or get better, then worse. It simply happens and it stays that way.

There are specific event cascades that occur with the death of motor neurons, and the cascades follow a specific order of occurrence. If the events (what you are calling symptoms) do not occur in the right sequence, then ALS is probably not the cause of the symptoms. Something else might be causing the symptoms and that something might be treatable. Do you really want to suffer from your symptoms longer than you have to just to prove that your Google diagnostic-fu is better than your doctor's expensive medical education?

By focusing on ALS at this point of your condition, you will start ignoring other symptoms that don't go along with ALS and exaggerate the symptoms that are found in ALS. That won't help your doctors find out what's wrong with you and can cause your doctors to ask you to undergo some unpleasant tests that might have been unnecessary had you simply reported all your symptoms rather than try to drive the diagnosis. The subsequent delay in diagnosis might also lead to your having to put up with your condition for weeks and months longer than you needed to, simply because the doctors needed to eliminate all the red herrings you dragged across the diagnostic trail before they would prescribe the treatment you need to resolve your condition.

Dr. Google knows a lot, but he has a disorganized way of presenting his knowledge and his bedside manner is pretty much zero. Why keep going back to him when he gives such lousy service?

Rhythman (and the original poster),

Stop diagnosing yourself. You don't have the knowledge or the skills to do it. Every time you zero in on another "symptom" favoring ALS, you make it more difficult for your doctors to diagnose you properly. Why? Because you are coloring the information you are giving your doctors with your preconceived notions.

The examples of ALS-caused weakness given by Beth, Glen, and Rose above are how all ALS patients experience weakness. One day, you can do something -- the next day you can't. Sometimes, it's a little thing and barely noticeable -- easily put off to arthritis or old age or a bad night's sleep. Sometimes, it's a big thing and you have no choice but to call the doctor. It doesn't come and go, or get better, then worse. It simply happens and it stays that way.

There are specific event cascades that occur with the death of motor neurons, and the cascades follow a specific order of occurrence. If the events (what you are calling symptoms) do not occur in the right sequence, then ALS is probably not the cause of the symptoms. Something else might be causing the symptoms and that something might be treatable. Do you really want to suffer from your symptoms longer than you have to just to prove that your Google diagnostic-fu is better than your doctor's expensive medical education?

By focusing on ALS at this point of your condition, you will start ignoring other symptoms that don't go along with ALS and exaggerate the symptoms that are found in ALS. That won't help your doctors find out what's wrong with you and can cause your doctors to ask you to undergo some unpleasant tests that might have been unnecessary had you simply reported all your symptoms rather than try to drive the diagnosis. The subsequent delay in diagnosis might also lead to your having to put up with your condition for weeks and months longer than you needed to, simply because the doctors needed to eliminate all the red herrings you dragged across the diagnostic trail before they would prescribe the treatment you need to resolve your condition.

Dr. Google knows a lot, but he has a disorganized way of presenting his knowledge and his bedside manner is pretty much zero. Why keep going back to him when he gives such lousy service?

Brilliant...and well said. You've convinced me. I'm getting off the internet and going to have a glass of wine with my wonderful, loving wife. I'll post on this forum again after I've seen the neuro and have something to actually report.

To all the wonderful people on these boards who've replied to my posts these past 2 weeks...take care and God bless. 'Talk' to you later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back