Other
Country
US
State
OH
City
Cleveland
I saw my neurologist week before last.

I had written a previous post about experiencing muscle twitches--pretty widespread, but my hot spots are definitely my lower legs--calves, backs of my ankles and shins.

He did reflex testing--everything normal and strength testing as well. Had me walk on my toes, on my heels, looked for foot drop. Everything looks normal for now.

I could tell he was kind of amused by the fact that I am even worrying about ALS, but I'm still not sure. He did not feel an EMG is necessary. He dismissed it as anxiety and put me on a high dose of Xanax. It helped quite a bit last week--last week was a pretty good week, almost no twitching at all. But it's as if I've already built up a tolerance to the Xanax, and I'm twitching again. It's not as widespread yet, but as usual, my lower legs are bothering me.

It seems the twitches have changed their intensity as well. I still get the occasional popping twitches, but now it's more like light, vibrating, rolling twitches. My feet are also cramping up a bit off an on, but I can usually stop it by moving.

He is more concerned with something like MS--I had a clean MRI of head and spine in 2008, but I see a black dot in my right eye occasionally, so he is running a test on my vision--some kind of visual stimulation test.

He said weakness in ALS after just presenting with twitches could take up to a year to develop, so I still have my fears.

My back is very fatigued and sore, but I think it's from sitting in an office all day.

Not sure what to think at this point. Guess only time will tell.

God bless you all, you are all such amazing people.

Hi FioreBello--

that's good news that things seem to be pointing away from ALS. I also have had a workup for MS and the results there are somewhat inconclusive. I have some spots on the brain MRI, but one of the neuros I saw says they are not compatible with MS, while the other is unsure. I think twitching is not generally considered a sign of MS, though.

in addition to the brain MRI, they can do a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) to look for certain elevated proteins and other signs of MS, evoked potential tests, and an MRI of the cervical spine.

Hopefully you have neither disease and are facing something more benign.

Good luck--

Sandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back