Reason
Other
Country
US
State
mi
City
farm hls
Hi everyone, I just had a quick question regarding breathing problems. I've been waking up with headaches lately. I really can't say for how long now but they are definitely there in the morning and they usually linger around for awhile after, sometimes a few hrs, sometimes all day. I am also 7 months pregnant and I know hormones could be the cause of it too. For those that are affected witht their breathing, did it start with just morning headaches or were there other more noticeable signs?

Hi Katmomma,

I was having headaches a lot when I was diagnosed with sleep apnea , 8 yrs ago. I found that my headaches would come back when a change was needed in air pressure.

Based on my experiences, if you are having breathing problems, they could be the cause of you headaches. Something to ask your doctor about. Maybe a sleep study also.

Another thought is based on allergies.

Glen

I had severe headaches every morning and I would wake up many times every night with headaches. They were caused by a build up of CO2. Once I got my bipap they disappeared.

When you both got the headaches, were there any other symptoms? I can take deep breaths (the kind when you yawn) but I can do this at other times too. I also wake up in the middle of the night (pregnancy related to use the bathroom) but don't notice headaches at this time, its usually only in the morning.

No other symptoms, just headaches.
Sounds like what you are experiencing could be pregnancy related and will possibly disappear once you deliver.

Did the headaches go away once you got up from laying down? Mine sort of linger for the whole day. I know I should go back to my doctor about this and the other symptoms Im having. Im just afraid that if I go and they do find something wrong, I will be a wreck once the baby comes (in 2 months). I don't know what to do. The headaches aren't that severe, just nagging..nothing like a migrane or anything.

If I got up with a headache , I went back to bed. (with a suitable amount of Tylenol)

Being that you are with child , I would ask for a sleep study , which is quiet non invasive night of sleeping wired up to monitors. If you are indeed not getting enough air when you sleep , I would get the doc right on it.

Glen

i agree with sleep study , i use to get morning head aches also use to blame the pillows tried every kind of pillow , cheap to 125.00 pillows lol dum me ,had sleep study and not only did i have sleep apena my oxygen would drop down in to the 80s so, now i have a cpap it has oxygen hook up to it also but...no more headaches

do you have to sleep away from home for the sleep study or do you take everything with you to your home?

mine was done in a hospital, checked in at night, checked out in the morning, there are also clinics that do them, i do not think it could be done at home, but i could be wrong, margaret

Do headaches with als go away after you get up and out of bed?

Hi Katmomma,

Yes , you need to sleep away from home. They have a lot of sophisticated recording machines that record your breathing, heart beats, brain activity , leg activity etc.

Headaches will be headaches , whether you have ALS or not. Do yours go away when you get out of bed ?

Glen

I did my sleep study at home, then sent the machine to the RT.
In my case the headaches went away soon after getting up. And, tylenol or ibuprofen did not help as the headaches were caused by a build up of CO2.

Kat~

I had those when I was pregnant with grace at the last trimester. You have more pressure on your diaphram depending on the position of the baby. I also had them upon waking after I had the baby, I had a c section. I dont get them anymore. Havent for over a year, but I did get them at 7 months and through post partum. I wouldnt not worry about this meaning you may have ALS. What I did while pregnant was lie half sitting up and propped with pillow. Sometimes I slept on the an over sized chair! Just get through this pregancy and 3 months out of your pregnancy and see how you feel. Please take care!

april

Do headaches with als go away after you get up and out of bed?

Katmomma,

The headaches PALS have are not part of the ALS disease process per se. The headaches are brought on due to a lack of good oxygen/co2 exchange. A fairly large portion of the general population (who do not have any form of ALS) get these types of headaches due to sleep apnea or other breathing insufficiencies.

A sleep study will reveal if you're having apnea or aphasia while sleeping. And, like others have commented, pain meds do not help relieve a headache that is due to these issues. Before I was on bipap I would awaken in the early morning hours with horrible headaches, and not be sure if they were migraine or from build up of co2. The way I could tell would be to get up and move around, breathing deeply.

Perhaps you're not breathing as fully both with inspiration as well as expiration due to the baby pressing on your diaphragm. That is a far more likely cause than the possibilities you've raised here.

I have not been following your posts, so I'm not familiar with why you're concerned about ALS, but I can tell you that there have been many worried expectant moms to pass through this forum during the time I've been active. Pregnancy is hard on the body, and remember after you deliver, that it took approximately 9 months to produce your baby, and hence, it can take that long, or sometimes longer, to get back to how you felt pre-pregnancy.

good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back