Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
SE
State
none
City
n
My family has been making fun of me for a while since I make funny noises while asleep. I have developed sleeping problems which I marked down to stress, wake up a lot each night, but today I had to lie down flat on a doc's hard couch and I noticed that I had a really hard time exhaling and had to press out the air. I made a kind of grunting noise. Would bulbar involve BOTH inhaling and exhaling?

Have ever had asthma? Ask you GP what he/she thinks about prescribing an albuterol inhaler.
Wynn

Have you had any breathing tests done? Most people make funny noises sleeping. It's called snoring. Bulbar symptoms don't usually involve breathing issues until further advanced.

AL.

Short answer - yes. You need to have a sleep study, or at least see a pulmonologist for FVC and all the other stuff they test for. Diaphragm involvement is not uncommon.

I agree with getting the dr. to check you out for asthma. You sound like me.

I agree - sleep study or a pulmo doc visit would be a good thing.

I am on BiPap , and I am told that sometimes I make noise on exhale , like a humming sound , air over the vocal cords .

Glen

It's more like a grunty groany thing when you try to breathe on your back with asthma.And it's harder to get air in and out that way.

I agree - sleep study or a pulmo doc visit would be a good thing.

I am on BiPap , and I am told that sometimes I make noise on exhale , like a humming sound , air over the vocal cords .

Glen

Glen have you had any problems with your BiPap?.. My husband had it for a short time but we, I guess - I gave it up. He has FTD with his MND and I couldn't convince him to relax with it and he wouldn't leave the mask alone. He breathes pretty well on his but gets "winded" easily, especially when he eats. That seems to be getting worse..

I feel bad, like I am not getting him all the help I should.
:-(

No , not really , but I had 7 years of CPAP machine use before, so it was an easy transition.

The only advice I can give is to try to relax and get into a rhythm. Maybe try it as an exercise for his lungs in the afternoon. My machine recognizes my breathing when I first turn it on. If I am gasping for breath , it will hit me with quick breaths one after the other. I have figured out how to slow it down by breathing regularly.

It can be scary if you get out of sync at first where you are trying to breath out and it i pumping it in.

It just takes practice. Once he gets used to it , he will learn to like it.

I only wear mine when I sleep.

Glen

No , not really , but I had 7 years of CPAP machine use before, so it was an easy transition.

The only advice I can give is to try to relax and get into a rhythm. Maybe try it as an exercise for his lungs in the afternoon. My machine recognizes my breathing when I first turn it on. If I am gasping for breath , it will hit me with quick breaths one after the other. I have figured out how to slow it down by breathing regularly.

It can be scary if you get out of sync at first where you are trying to breath out and it i pumping it in.

It just takes practice. Once he gets used to it , he will learn to like it.

I only wear mine when I sleep.

Glen

Thanks for the advise and feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back