wheeler641

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
indiana
City
dyer
does anyone know if there is a natural remedy for thrush of the mouth, I hate to keep running to the doctor. I had it once before and he gave me a bottle of red liquid to swish around my mouth, I tried searching the internet(google) and there are several ads for remedies howerver the want to charge you an arm and a leg for it and who know if it works? I am sooo, sooo tired of going to doctor, but if if I have to go, I have to go, thanks margaret

Hi-- a family herbal medicine site recommended these natural remedies for thrush, which were posted by someone named Kimberly. I think they might be referring to thrush on the tongue with breastfeeding babies, but I imagine they would work on anyone's tongue. might be worth a try:

Home remedy for thrush

Yogurt Remedy

Besides eating yogurt, it is also one of the home remedies for thrush that I recommend trying. Offer a fingerful of yogurt to be sucked by your baby or smear it on the yeast patches in baby’s mouth and on your nipples using a cotton swab (do clean your nipples of yogurt before nursing again). Discard the swab or wash your hands after applying the yogurt, taking care not to contaminate your yogurt with thrush.

Baking Soda / Vinegar Remedy

Make a solution of one-teaspoon baking soda in eight ounces of water. Use a cotton swab to wipe the solution on the insides of baby’s cheeks, gums and tongue after each nursing. Prepare a fresh solution every day, and stir well before using.

Discourage thrush on your nipples with a vinegar solution of one-tablespoon vinegar in a cup of water. (You need not make a fresh solution of this every day.) A good home remedy for thrush.

Plantain Seed Remedy

Soak the plantain seeds in enough water to cover them and soak them until they swell which may take several hours or overnight. This will make a gel-like substance that you can put on the patches of thrush. Plantain seeds are easily gathered in the fall, but you can also buy them as psyllium seeds.

Susan Weed, suggests these three remedies in Childbearing Year and says that the thrush can clear up within three days, but recommends you continue with the treatments for several weeks to completely clear the thrush and prevent reoccurrence.

While the thrush persists make it a habit to wash your hands often. For best results, wash them every time you touch the baby’s mouth or your nipples. I found that to be pretty unrealistic and frustrating, so I just remind you to do your best and try not to let the home remedy for thrush be more of a cause for stress, as that just feeds the infection.

I share two other possible home remedies for thrush.

Acidophilus Remedy

The first is breaking open acidophilus tablets and rubbing the powder on the pockets of thrush. One of my friends used this remedy with her son and reports good results.

Calendula Remedy

After exhausting every home remedy for thrush and every doctor recommended remedy without positive results, my husband John suggested I try taking calendula tincture, and guess what, the thrush finally cleared up! I can’t say it was because of this tincture, perhaps the thrush had just run its course, but this was my personal experience.

milk of magnesia rinse followed by apple cider vinegar (diluted) rinse. It took several months, but my husband no longer has thrush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back