Distinguished member
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hi everyone--

I recently saw a neuro who specializes in ALS to see if they could help me to interpret my "borderline normal" EMG findings and to check up on my situation.

Summary-- started twitching and cramping almost 3 years ago, abnormal weakness and fatigue associated with exertion 2 1/2 years ago, atrophy of thenar muscle 2 years ago. My weakness is worse, but only associated with exertion or weather (after bowling, running "Wii Sports" or being outside during brisk temperatures.) And my atrophy in my thumb muscle is worse, but not dramatically. I've had 2 clean EMGs and one that showed slow nerve conduction in my left ulnar. Still twitch like crazy, everywhere. The bad news is that I'm not strictly a BFSer because I show other symptoms and progression. The good news is that I'm fully functional and have no super-obvious presentation. I should also note that I have other neurological symptoms such as parasthesia and ocular troubles (flickering vision, occasional blind spots, visual snow, after images, etc.) I'm a 27 year old male with a medical history of hodgkins lymphoma

The doctor was reassuring. She told me that if this were ALS it would extremely bizarre and abnormally slow presentation. I know that there are people on this forum who twitched and whatnot for years before diagnosis, but that it is rare.

She told me that the abnormalities found in my EMG were in the nerve conduction part, not the needle. The funny thing is, when I posted my EMG report on here that is what you smart folks told me but my doctor messed up! My original hand doctor who did the EMG said it was found during the needle portion, not the nerve conduction.

She said that I have some nerve entrapment but nothing worth doing surgery over. They didn't see any denervation so that's good. She also said that the strength in my thumbs is great and that it's hard to know if my thenar muscle is experiencing true atrophy. It's weird; there is clearly a huge ridge that shows up whenever I move it as if I'm giving a thumbs up sign, but if you just look at it in rest it appears normal.

She said I should do an EMG in a year and come back and see her if it gets significantly worse. She also wants me to do more experiments to figure out of there is a correlation between my diet and my symptoms.

I am a little put off by the fact that she didn't do any strength tests or evaluations other than my thumbs, but I should be encouraged by the fact that she didn't feel the need to. I'm also concerned because there doesn't seem to be much effort going into figuring out exactly what the hell's going on with me. I'm thrilled that they don't think it's ALS, but I know my body and I know there's something going on.

Anyways, I'm going to try and stay off these boards for a while, unless things get worse and I have questions. Or maybe I'll just pop in to let people who twitch know they have nothing to worry about. Or maybe just to say hi!

Thank you to everyone who has taken time out to respond to my posts. My heart, thoughts and prayers go to all of you struggling with ALS, PLS or any of the debilitating neuromuscular conditions. Not to sound cliche, but your strength is a source of both inspiration and perspective. There are some amazing individuals on these boards. Hopefully the combination of an increased awareness of ALS and the exciting potential of newer medical research will produce some sort of cure to this condition.

Thanks again,

Andy

good luck , and enjoy life

Good luck Andy. Be well.

AL.

Hi Andy, I am glad to hear that you got good news from your neurologist. I hope you find it reassuring.

One thing I wanted to mention was that I too have occasionally had visual disturbances over the years, the flickering vision and blind spots, not ALS related. I would mostly get it while exercising but not always. I finally decided that it was due to poor nutrition causing low blood sugar. Working out without a snack before, or with certain snacks that I reacted badly too (for me, corn-based foods caused problems) would tend to bring on these visual lapses. Just thought I'd mention my experience. If it keeps happening you might think back to what you have eaten in the previous few hours and see if you notice a pattern.

Thank you for reporting back the good news! That is wonderful to hear!

Good luck to you!

I hope someone down the road is able to give you some answers.

Fare well!

Zaphoon

Hey Andy ,

Take care of yourself. If you venture back this way , we will be here waiting.

Glen

Good luck to you Andy-

Lydia

Thank you again, everyone.

Hal-- That's interesting that you experienced the flickering vision as well. From what I can tell, it's not very common and docs don't know what causes it, but you seem to be onto something with nutrition. I'm starting to realize that if the doctors don't know what this is (which is both a good and bad thing) I am going to have to be more personally pro-active with my health.

I've been avoiding working out and exercising, because that's what brings on the bizarre weakness. If I just hang out, I'm generally okay, but after running I can't walk on my heels and after lifting I can barely hold a phone to my ear. It's distressing so I have steered clear of those activities, but the strength always returns. I may just bite the bullet and start working out more, and I'll certainly try to eat better (I don't eat terribly but I'm not a health nut either!)

Best,

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back