Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Florida
City
boynton beach
I'll try to add as many details.
I'm 15 years of age and I've been getting these twitches all over my body.
For years, since I can remember, I've had slight twitches daily that bugged me, but never ruined anything. I got this foot twitch a month ago that drove me insane, worrying like crazy, walking nonstop so I dont feel it, ect. After finally falling asleep, I woke up and didnt feel it. I felt happy, and didnt really feel twitches all day. Later on that day, I got these continous twitches on my other feet, then the other foot started again. I worried once again, walking nonstop, pretty much dehydrating myself. I am a hypocondriac so I worry I have ALS.
Since then, I've been to the hospital and was told I was 3X dehydrated and I got a bag, it seemed to relax me and I fell asleep. The symptoms didnt really decrease.

If I was to stretch or use any muscle after not bending it, I would twitch there. If I was to bend my arm, it would twitch for a few, then likely go away. That's what scares me, I dont really have weakness since I can still pick up things, but any muscle I tend to use twitches.

I worry myself sick and I was bed ridden for days from high fever.

I get these twitches all over, legs, feet, arms, stomach and back atleast every few seconds. I have one right now behind my knee that feels like pressure, then on top of that I have the minor ones everywhere else.

Am I worrying to much? Are these stress related?
I've been drinking much water and taking magnesium pills that I think relax me.
If I lay in bed and relax as much as I can, I tend to not feel much twitching, which makes me think this is all anxiety and worstened since I'm thinking of the twitches 24/7

Like I said, I dont have much weakness, Over the summer and now I was on the computer pretty much 24/7 from waking up till sleep, so I think im naturally weak and my twitches are from no muscle, lol. I dont really get much sleep, 5 hours, eh?

I do not know, I've had twitches for years but im constantly thinking about them and I freak out, I feel relaxed when I walk, though. So I have full strength in my legs but some pain in my back from sitting 24/7

Thanks alot! I've read up on how ALS doesnt spread over night or within a week, so thats why I'm not too scared of having it. But I want to know whats up!

Hypocondriac here

Oh my goodness ALS should be as far from your radar as anything in the world.. Do you have a relative or someone with als that you would ever even consider this as something that is wrong with you. I can tel you that it is really really unlikely, and almost unheard of that you would have als.. Please relax.. Maybe share these concern's with an adult in your life...

Nobody in my family has ALS, though my mom has alot of muscle problems such as fibermyalgia [cant spell] Though she doesnt really get twitching, just pain.

I wouldnt freak out so much but I basicly self-diagnosed myself reading up on "ALS happens when muscle twitches constantly in certain spots" which I have.
I usually get these slight twitches on the arches of my feet, both of them, still that I sometimes dont feel, but if I think about them I twitch.

It's nice to hear that I am far from ALS, due to the only thing I have is constant twitching with little breaks if I relax, and possible slight weakness. I pick up an item and that arm starts to twitch, then it calms down if I try it again.

Hey Puregamer,

I am going to make some guesses here - let me know if I get close.

As your nickname says , you are a gamer.
How many hours a day ?
Console or PC ?

The dehydration thing may be a sign of not getting the proper nutrition - are you eating well?

No weakness - No ALS. You get weak before you even think of ALS.

I suggest that you get to a doctor and get a full physical.

And , never try to self diagnose on the internet. You will end up believing that aliens are eating your brain .

Relax , and save the twiches for your favorite FPS. Yes , I was a gamer too.

Glen

I was at the store yesterday with my son getting Halo 3. We have every game system, my son is 14 and when he was young I was his opponent. Until he out gamed me. You seem like such a nice kid, help we can guide you into a better direction, away from ALS.

Puregamer--

It's cool. ALS is typically seen in people 3-4 times your age. Weakness and atrophy are the primary symptoms, not twitching. Twitching however is very common in people with hypochondria and anxiety. They're called benign fasciculations. Now, you can google that if you want, but what you'll find is info on how twitching is totally harmless most of the time. You'll also find a forum about benign fasiculations. You could post there if you want, you will find hundreds of people who share your same experience. However, I think you should really consider avoiding medical information online altogether. There is a lot of misinformation out there, and a lot of disproportionally scary info out there too. The stress you are causing your body and mind by stressing about this stuff is far more dangerous than the things you are worrying about. Live your life man. Find a way to balance your life experiences with your time in front of a screen.

I by no means am saying STOP playing games; hell I just picked up Halo ODST, the new Need for Speed and I'm replaying Bioshock with my girlfriend. They're great forms of entertainment and certainly healthier than searching google for medical information. But you need to figure out what else you like to do and embrace that as well.

Oh yeah, the fasiculations; You're fine. It's not ALS. ALS is rare. ALS starting with twitching is really, really rare. ALS in someone under 40 is really, really rare as well. ALS starting with twitching in a 15 year old would be really, really, really, really, reall... you get the point. you don't have it. I recommend getting checked out by doctors to make sure you don't have vitamin deficiencies or anything like that that can cause twitching, but put this hypochondriac stuff behind you and move on.

I play lots and lots of computer games. I usually spend all day on the computer if I can.

Whenever I bend or sit up, any muscle I used would twitch. I would bend my arm and it would twitch everywhere but eventually go away.
The weakness I have are in my wrists, but I most likely have carpal tunnel due to all the computer, and signs of tingly fingers and pain in the small area on your wrist where carpal tunnel is.

I broke both wrists, which show a sign of weakness. I do not think im getting weaker, it may be in my head.
But if I relax enough, I dont really feel much twitching, until im thinking about them and worring. I would usually walk alot and move about so I dont feel them, which may eliminate ALS due to weakness not letting you move much, but i'm constantly moving.

I would squeeze my fist and my fingers would twitch. Usually when im on the computer and type alot, I would twitch there, though if I keep bending it, it stops twitching until I keep the body part at rest for awhile.

I do believe I have a sign of something, hoping BLS or some weak body condition where I need exersize.

Yeah, I'm way too young to freak out about ALS, though I constantly think about these things happening every few seconds.

Dude ....

This is going to be the toughest thing to do.

Take a week off from gaming. Go outside and find something to do. Shoot some hoops. Get some mild exercise.

Just for a week , no cheating.

You dont have ALS.

Glen

You need exercise and hydration. Twitching is common in anxiety issues and dehydration. Watch your diet - drink more water (not juice or soda) and get outside. To much time at a computer can cause your problem - like carpal tunnel - which starts often with twitching and stiffness. You would have more "issues" with ALS. And above is correct - if it is not in your family you're very unlikely to have it at such a young age. See a dr - stay away from the internet - it will convince you that you have any disease related to muscle twitches. I day of fluids will not cure chronic dehydration issues. Your muscles are starved for activity and fluids

Hey again,
My twitches are abit weird lately. When I would bend a muscle or lay up, move quick or use any muscle soever, It would twitch.
Is that a sign of just natural weak muscles from too much computer?
I would make a fist and my fingers would twitch for a sec, I would lean up and my stomach muscles twitch, ect.
I have a few twitches all over every few seconds but I'm constantly moving so they arent that bothersome

Usually when I'm relaxed enough or focused on one twitch itsself, I dont feel any others that bad.

Thats why I think I have anxiety related BLS of some sort, right?
I just hate feeling twitches every second and even worst when I lift objects, not really weakness though.

I'm young, I really need to get my mind off these things, right? Usually when I lift an object, my chest on both sides would twitch for hours because its irritated or something, then if I relax it calms down.

I'm wearing a wrist brace right now due to my carpal and stiff fingers, so that might explain the wrist weakness.
I've read on how ALS twitches stay nonstop until the muscle is gone, though mine are jumpy all over the place, preferably my legs, chest, feet and even my face when I smile hard enough.

When I was fifteen, I was so busy doing things (like riding my bike, tooting my horn, flirting with girls, and working) that I wouldn't have known if I was twitching or not (and probably would have cared less - those little buggers are just so entertaining anyhow).

The best thing you can do for yourself at this point would be to get a girlfriend (or learn to play guitar and join a rock band. Groupies, you know!).

Zaphoon

Guy's I have a question.
When ALS twitchers get a twitch, is it constant in that one area until the muscle dies, then it spreads, or is it just tiny twitches every so often that move about?

As in, when you get a twitch, does it keep going at it fast with no break in that one area, or is it one or two jumps all over your body? Because thats what I get.
I usually get one jump in different areas all over, but usually when I relax and get my mind off them, they dont twitch as much.

I need to clear my mind and just stop thinking I have this disease, so many of you told me I'm crazy thinking my twitches are ALS :lol: though I just want to make sure what ALS twitchers are like.

Like I've said, I've had twitching before but after I got this foot twitch, I went so berserk that I probably sparked a plug in my brain that is making me twitch all over the place because I am always thinking of them. It's just horrible not being able to lift things because I start to twitch in that area, which I'm confused about..

Do you think my muscle is just growing and when I lift heavy things, it's twitching is normal because its making more muscle? Because I never ever exersize, so anything heavy makes me twitch. I constantly have a heavy backpack and both sides of my stomach twitches in many spots for hours because of the weight, heh, I probably need to train the muscle.

As I lay in bed, calm, I usually swing my legs back and fourth and it helps alot to relax me. It started in my foot, then the other foot the next day, my legs, now everywhere.

Als twithces are involved with a lot of other things going on. I can tell you with a pretty good amount of certaintity that it sure does not sound like ALS to any of us. You need to talk to an adult in your life to take you to see a doc and have a physical, it is probably something that can be fixed pretty easy, you should not be worried about als. Is an adult in your household aware how you are feeling? can we be of any assistance with them? you are not much older than my son, and it would break my heart if he were carrying any burden alone, especially worrying about something that should be off your radar like als. Please stop worrying ALS twitches are just a small piece of the ALS puzzzle. Twitches mean nothing.

Puregamer,

My father has ALS and he never noticed any twitching until after his diagnosis. Everyone who has replied to your post has already told you that your symptoms sound nothing like ALS because it does not present itself in the form of twitching. Yes twitching occurs with ALS but it is such a minor symptom of this disease and does not present itself first. It really doesn't come into play until later. The first symptoms are usually drop foot, slurred speech or hand weakness nothing like what you describe.

I work at a computer all day as an editor and believe me I have wrist weakness too. I have sore hands sometimes and a stiff neck and sometimes my eyelids twitch like crazy because I sit in front of 3 large monitors. Then when I stand up my legs feel wobbly but after I stretch and go for a walk my symptoms go away because they have nothing whatsoever to do with ALS and everything to do with the fact that the human body was not made to sit at a computer all day. Your symptoms are directly related to the amount of time you spend on a computer every day. Trust me. I still think you should see a doctor in case you need some physiotherapy of some sort. You could have carpal tunnel syndrome or tendonitis or something like that. I highly recommend that you start walking. You live in Florida so put on your iPod and get outside and walk to your favorite music. Do that every day for 30 minutes and I guarantee you will feel better, not just physically but mentally as well. It is the best therapy! You're young, you live near a beach, life is good! :)

Now promise us all that you will take good care of yourself ok?

I too spend a lot of time in front of computers. IT Guy - occupational hazzard ;) Long time gamer - its an addiction.

Thelma , just standing up every hour will get rid of that stiffness. It helps.

Gamer, I twitch all over at different times. If I really work the muscles , the twitches will increase in frequency. So far , I ignore them.

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back