Diagnosis
12/2009
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Gaithersburg
Hello, I just got back from a neuro today who examined me for various symptoms. My symptoms that I feel right now are that my right gets so sore and aches every day when I walk on it. It also feels akward when walking on that leg. I also get fasciculations all over my body.

When the neuro was checking my reflexes, he noted that I had diminish reflexes in my right limb, but stated that it could be a potential lower neuron lesion. I was really confused as what he meant and he just made me schedule another appointment to see him another time. Now I am just anxious on what he meant about the diminished reflex. I am going to get a second opinion by another neuro, but I have to wait for a month just to make one (the neuros in the DC area are always booked :? ). But I just want to know what a diminished reflex could signify?

I am sorry when I meant "right" i meant that my right leg aches and is sore while walking. I messed that sentence up.

Be encouraged as that points away from ALS.

I hope you get some answers soon.

Thank you for the response JoelC. :razz:

The one thing I am confused though is that he keeps saying that it might be a motor neuron disease where it affects the lower motor neurons only. He keeps mentioning Kennedy's disease to me and says its possible that I have that. I am really confused because I thought Kennedy's disease was not a MND but he makes it sound like it is one. I am just a mess now. :?:?

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time with this. I wish I could be of more help but I don't know anything about Kennedy's disease. Maybe someone else will offer some insight. Try to relax a bit-I know it might be hard but a lot of anxiety only makes things worse.

Hi,
Kennedy's Disease is also called Spinal Muscular Atrophy and is diagnosed with a blood test I believe. I think it is usually hereditary and they look at DNA to diagnose it. It usually is very slow progression and people do get debilitated over time, but generally live a normal life span. Often neurologists use the term neuromuscular disease when investigating versus motor neuron disease--so perhaps he used that term? There are lots of neuromuscular disorders out there such as CIDP. However Kennedy's Disease is considered a motor neuron disease. Have you had blood tests, EMG, nerve conduction studies? If it happens to be Kennedy's Disease it is a much better prognosis than ALS. Good luck.
Laurel

Thanks for the reply Laurel and all the information. :smile: I thought Kennedy's disease was a form of a motor neuron disease.

My case has bewildered me though. I guess my neuro mentioned Kennedy's disease to me because one of my uncles have it. What I don't understand is how he gets this conclusion without any real tests. Here is the whole story for my case:

Back in March of this year, I started getting these terrible headaches on the right side of my head. They last for a couple of months until I had to go to the ER at least two times because my headaches were getting so bad and causing me to have weakness. They ran CT scans and everything came up negative. Since it was towards the end of my freshman year at college, they attributed it to stress and possible migraines. The headaches lasted til the end of May, and I decided to go to a Neuro for the headaches. Since about the beginning of May though, I noticed I was getting fascis all over my body. I went to a neuro suggested by my family doctor to get it checked out.

Since then the neuro has just caused more stress and confusion towards me. I have not had any blood test, MRI, or EMG done yet, and its so hard to make an appointment with him. He keeps saying I have a lower motor neuron disease like KD, but I only feel fascics all over my body and soreness in my right leg. No real weakness. :?:

I am going to take joel's advice and just try to relax and try to make another neuro visit.

Hi, I am surprised your Dr. has told you that you have a LMN disease without doing an EMG. Does that seem strange to anyone else? I have symptoms similar to you - light atrophy in my foot/lower leg, weakness, but my Mayo neuro found my reflexes in my legs as NORMAL and my arms as a little diminished. I did have an EMG and nothing was found. I also have fascics. I feel like I have lower motor stuff going on - no upper motor stuff - so not sure what I have wrong. Have you read about Multifocal Motor Neuropathy? I believe that presents in an arm most often, and it's LMN-related. I would think your Dr. would at least consider that as well as other things before thinking you have a lower motor neuron disease. You also need many blood tests before he can assume that. I hope you will have more luck at your next neuro visit, with a good outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back