Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
As anyone ever heard of someone with ALS to begin with breathing problems?

I have read that it is extremely rare, but it has happened.

That was my second symptom. My hands were first but before they got too bad my breathing started to become a major concern

I have bulbar and looking back three or four years ago, I started having breathing problems. Even went for lung xrays and heart tests. Slurred speech started about 18 months ago. Very slowly, just some sounds. I am slurry now, but still able to speak and be understood if I am careful and don't try to say too much at once.
NancyS

Why not , if that is the symptom they notice first. But its not high on the list of most people. It does eventually catch up though.

Glen

Hi,

My husband's breathing change was the first noticeable symptom. Looking back, he realized that he had problems in his arms, which attributed to getting old. Stopping breathing was not attributed to that. We both feel that if he had been in a car accident before his diagnosis, he would have died simply because he could not breathe on his back.

So, the short answer is yes.

Lynn
Husband diagnosed 08/08

Yes I couldn't lay on my back either, looking back my knee giving way and tired legs was before the breathing problems but I just put it down to working to hard and getting older.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back