Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Falls
Hi,
Just had an emg for neurological issues that have been going on for the past 5 months or so. Muscle weakness and atrophy present in one arm, muscle twitches present in all 4 limbs. May or may not be related to cervical spine injury and subsequent surgery. Have been told that these symptoms are possible after my procedure, but usually not to the degree that I have had.

Meet with neurologist in about a week to discuss results and questions and concerns. Was called by my GP's nurse because he was sent results as well. She said that the results showed abnormalities in the one arm, with no problems/clean results in the other arm and legs. Said it would be discussed in more detail with my neuro.

My question is this: would ALS symptoms show up on an emg in all limbs, or only once those areas begin to atrophy and weaken? Can I expect to have another emg down the road to compare to this one? Just looking for some input. Thanks!

In my case it only showed up in my left leg. My Right leg was normal.

Please do not worry about this . Its for the Neuro to diagnosed.

Glen

An EMG can detect problems in areas where you have not noticed outward symptoms if the condition has spread.

However, as I understand it, it would not appear in all four limbs at once. That's not how ALS works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back