Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Hammonton
Hi everyone! My prayers are always with everyone.

Ok, here's what's going on.

Symptoms

May 16, 2009

Both legs started feeling slightly weak and felt funny

Within the next couple of weeks legs would become very weak. Calves and Thigh would get hard and tight and become very sore.

Around the third to fourth week it spread to both arms. Internal tremors would be felt when doing any type of activity with lifting or standing.

Around the fifth week it spread to my neck. Felt tightness and stiffness as it started on the right side of my neck then over the next couple of days it spread to the left side and then to the front of it.

Few days after that left hand started becoming weaker and fingers (pinky and ring) would start to shake. Holding the phone for more than a minute hand would start to shake. Turning pages sometimes becomes difficult.

Left ankle and foot - Control issues when putting in slipper.

Holding the phone with my shoulder creates more internal tremors in the the arm, mouth, throat. Teeth would have a slight chatter from it.

Pinky and ring fingers are numb when waking up.

Able to walk but legs still get weak and internal tremors are felt.

Get fasciculations all over my body.

When doing any activity (walking, using hands or arms, head movement) muscles are stressed not long after using them and the internal and some visible tremors are present. An example of this would be when weight training (bench pressing) and your trying to do a couple of extra repetitions, your muscles will start to shake as they become over exerted from the extra use. This is exactly what happens to my muscles after little use.

Swallowing has been affected. Skipping occurs when trying to clear mucus.

My throat involuntary swallows. This happens several times usually after waking up and trying to get back to sleep. Very dry mouth.

Skipping occurs sometimes when starting to take in a deep breath.

Muscles are very sore and some of them feel bruised.

Left shin area (just started) - a dull pressing feeling that last several seconds. It almost feels numb but no pins and needles feeling. It does it a many times a day.

Was in the hospital in June. MRI of brain and all spine areas were normal - no compression.

Just found out that I have West Nile Virus - the Igg test was positive but the Igm was negative which means that the virus is not effecting me now but was exposed in the past, so I'm not sure it's creating my symptoms.

I had one EMG and it was normal but of course when it was done and it was on my left leg the twitching was present on the leg.

Blood work was clean other than the wnv. No metals at all.

Doctors not sure.

None of my symptoms have gone away and it seems newer ones emerge - like the left shin thing.

The strength is still there but after doing any activity, the tremors start until I rest then they subside.

Any ideas about this?

Thanks so much for reading.

OLLY~

I know you have read alot, does the herpes simplex virus really do that or turn into that? I have postive test for HSV-1, neg being >0.89 and mine was 4.77, I mean that is HIGHLY postive. I was diagnosed with Ebstien Bar virus 15 yrs ago, maybe it is the same. I was also + for mycoplasma Igg(1.59) but neg for igm. Just wondering......

Aprril

Hi Caroline, thank you for your concern.

They haven't tried a viral treatment since the virus is currently not active. A few things that I didn't mention. Parts of my body jerks (thumb, leg, arm, etc.). When talking, I stumble over the letters th and s, as I have to repeat them slowly. The involuntary swallowing is a little more active.

Not sure!

Thanks you and take good care yourself.
Tom

I too have tested positive for West Nile IGG antibodies and are experiencing similar symptoms. Just in case you are still receiving email notifications from this site... did you ever get a diagnosis to explain these Neuro symptoms? I had my acute WNV illness in 2003 and now since the birth of my 3rd child in January 2010 I have been experiencing new Neuro symptoms. I'm wondering if the back to back pregnancies and overall stress to my body coupled with sleep deprivation has led my immune system to go haywire or if it was a trigger for a dormant WNV. Who knows! The more research I do, the more confused I become. I am hoping to get into the Mayo soon, but so far my Neuro appts (3 diff Neuros) have no real clue. I have clean EMGs so far and my slightly abnormal brain MRI has been stable since 2003. I had a spinal tap in March 2010 which is when they discovered the WNV IGG antibodies. Everything else (protein, MS panel, glucose, etc etc) was normal. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back