Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
I'm 22 years old, lately I've acquired some symptoms that made me think about possibly having ALS.

It began with twitching in my thumb, and my index finger as well. The twitching has spread to my toes as well as times. A few days ago, I've started getting fasiculations in a few areas of my body, mostly in my calves. I've also recently have gotten cramps in my calves as well. The side of my left hand feels numb, I had the same feeling in my right hand, but it went away.

I am wondering if muscle weakness is usually present during these symptoms, or does it occur after? Is the muscle weakness extreme, or barely noticeable if you're not very active in outdoor or work activities?

I realize that the chances of me having ALS is very rare, and I probably shouldn't be thinking about it. But I've come here just to see if these symptoms somewhat resemble ALS and if I should get it checked out by a Doctor.

Thanks for your time and any insight you can provide me.

well TK 1987 ....forget about having ALS and that too at ur age...live ur life do stuff dont bother bout having ALS....twitching means nothing when it comes to MND/ALS....even with cramps it could be so many other things ...like BFS,BCFS,HYPO OR HYPER THYROIDISM,B12 even D3.....so dont worry see a doc get ur blood work done i am pretty sure u must be defficient in some vitamin ....other than that dont worry as far as weakness is concerned when u have it u know as simple tasks which u were able to do become difficult for example buttoning a shirt or holding a pen ...and stuff like that...hope it relieves u of ur fears.

Thanks for the help. :)

Tk1987: I started having twitches in the age of (almost 22)..now I get them more than 2 years, along with 2 clean EMGs (one after 1,5 years) I now believe its not ALS, however there are worse days, of course.
When Im stressed, I get them much more and everywhere - from thumbs, rib cage, thigs to foots...
The most important thing - I have no diagnosis, after second EMG I stopped to search and just live and hope a bit, that it wil remain only twitching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back