Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cleveland
My Neuro ordered a barium Swallow and Speech test to check swallowing problems I was complaining about. I just got a call back from my Neuro saying that everything was normal.
The doctor that performed the test however said the following:

The oral and pharyngeal phases of your swallow were normal based on the Modified Barium Swallow study this morning.

I do not assess the esophageal phase of swallowing. That is the radiologist and GI doctors' area of expertise. However, I do try to screen the esophageal phase. The bite of applesauce appeared a little bit slow moving through the esophagus but cleared with a sip of liquid. This is likely normal. But given your symptoms (feeling as if food/liquids are coming up, feeling food "stick" at the end of a meal, or feeling phlegm in your throat when not eating/drinking), there is a possibility of reflux or esophageal difficulties. If these issues are causing major problems, discomfort, or preventing you from eating/drinking, then I would consider having an esophageal study or GI consult.
Would you like me to mail you a copy of my formal report.

Now my concern was this result plus fasciculations all over my body (clean EMG though) could point to ALS Bulbar Onset? Clearly my Neuro didn't seemed concern at all, or did not let me know. I am hesitant on contacting him again because I feel silly after what he said.
man! just when I was getting to relax a bit I get this.
Thank you all for your patience and input.

blessings

uriel

Uriel ... Are we both reading the same report? I don't see anything in that report to make you think ALS. It says everything is normal. And your EMG is clean.

You have no symptoms of either limb or bulbar onset ALS. Bulbar symptoms almost always start with slurred speech. Fasics all over the body point away from ALS ... especially bulbar onset ALS!

I'm glad you feel silly about contacting your neuro again. It means you haven't completely lost touch with reality. :)

It's summer! Go out and have fun!

you know

you are right, I just thought maybe the part where it said slow moving down the esophagus got me a little worried being that i am no expert on this. That is what I was wondering if weakness of muscle can actually start on those muscles..anyway you are probably right and I'm to silly to be worrying about this.
Thanks for your answer!

uriel

one more thing..

i just want you to know I really appreciate that someone like you going trough what you are going, finds the time to answer questions from such a silly person as me. it makes me feel even more silly:-(
really thank you. :smile:

uriel

Uriel, I totally agree with Beth. Everyone they I have ever heard of or read about who had Bulbar ALS started out with slurred speech as the first symptom. I would say relax and forget about it. Have a good summer! :smile:

Uriel,

The muscle of the esophagus is a different type of muscle than the type affected by ALS. It is smooth muscle, versus skeletal muscle. The oral and pharyngeal areas are those that are classified as "bulbar" because the bulbar area of the brain is where the nerves that move the muscles in this region are located.

If you still feel like you have problems, why don't you move forward with consulting a gastro doctor, in the meantime, at least you know that you don't have to concern yourself anymore with any form of ALS, bulbar or otherwise. Good luck to you.

Barry and Rose thank you for your replies, I had actually moved on and had joined a BFS Forum:p just to learned more. But when my Barium swallow said my esophagus was a bit slow moving, i started worrying again.
thank you again for your replies.

blessings

Uriel

Uriel ... Are we both reading the same report? I don't see anything in that report to make you think ALS. It says everything is normal. And your EMG is clean.

You have no symptoms of either limb or bulbar onset ALS. Bulbar symptoms almost always start with slurred speech. Fasics all over the body point away from ALS ... especially bulbar onset ALS!

I'm glad you feel silly about contacting your neuro again. It means you haven't completely lost touch with reality. :)

It's summer! Go out and have fun!

Bethu you and Al are excelent people... always helping

I keep you both in my regular prays

everlast~

Dont forget Rose! A beautiful soul and someone I aspire to be like. Always positive and supportive to EVERYONE.

You all have been wonderful! thank you so very much for all of your input. \
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!:)

blessings

uriel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back