Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
I started seeing a Physical therapist for my TMJ. She asked me to clench down to check for the strength and bulk of each jaw muscle. She told me that while both sides had significant bulk, my left jaw muscle is larger than my right. I also notice that when holding my mouth open for long period of time, like while at the dentist, or while being examined by doctors for my TMJ, that my right side tires quicker and begins to close quicker than the other side. Do you think these two things are just basic asymmetries and could be explained that I do most of my chewing primarily on my left side or do you think I should call and set up a neuro appt regarding this?

Is this concerning? I really don't know.

I would think that's fairly normal. Most people have a dominant or stronger side due to use. Unless you have other concerns, a Neuro visit would probably be unproductive. Save your time and money.

AL.

I think that there are a lot of things with our bodies/faces that we never really examined before the fear of MND arises. I mean maybe your muscles always were that way and how would you ever have known? It seems dumb but I never knew there were muscles in my jaw to clench untill you said it! I clenched my jaw and lo' and behold there is muscle there, dont know if it is symmetrical or not..LOL. I know that I have seen things in my own body and I just dont know if it is normal or not. We have to be careful not to contribute everything to our fears or concerns.

Best wishes,

april

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back